Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ELDORADO ETC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello it has been a while since i wrote but here is the problem some how some way the orifice tube came loose and went down the pipe close to the evaporator and it shut down my a/c system after mant trys to remove it no luck i replaced the transmister but the ends keep breaking off so i need to replace the evaporator i need some more clearence from the motor how can it be done or can it be done from where the motor sits now the housing on the firewall is hitting the valve cover a little bit i just need a little more room can anyone give me some help with this
thank you

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
Does the '98 have the torque struts aka dog bones? If so, disconnect the passenger side and remove the drivers side. Replace it with a 7" turnbuckle and pull the engine forward to give yourself a little extra clearance. You should be able to get an inch or two out of it.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
All the guys here slowly lower the front of the frame until it stops. All else still hooked up. The upper dog-bones will help hold it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
All the guys here slowly lower the front of the frame until it stops. All else still hooked up. The upper dog-bones will help hold it.
Specifically, does this not damage the intermediate steering shaft?

As in, do you get the customers coming back complaining about poping sounds coming from the streering?

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Lowering the rear without other support will. The front will be fine, just be slow and easy keeping an eye on wires, height sensor links, and brake pipes. Your water pump housing will push a little on the left cooling fan. Relax, take your time, it'll be fine.
1996 models have no Int shaft issues. Even if you dropped the rear yanking the shaft apart, it would go back together and have no problem. - don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
1998 ELDORADO ETC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info i tried rengers way with the turnbuckle it was all i needed to remove it now i have to get the new back in then we will go from there i will let you know in a few days cant get back on it till the weekend
thanks again

·
Registered
'98 Deville
24 Posts
I was curious to find out if you were able to remove and replace your evaporator core?

I believe mine is the problem for my A/C system to drain out. I recharged the system and noticed after a few minutes the lines unfrosted and there were bubbles coming from the furthest back evaporator core line. The dealer and a local A/C shop want $1,200 to remove and replace. Local shop says manual says it will take 10 hours to do and core will cost close to $300. I've found cores at Advance for less than $200.

I'd like to attempt to do this myself if I can save $1,000 +/-. Granted it may take me a day or so to do, but hey, I look at it as if I made $500 a day (since I didn't have to pay it out).

·
Registered
1998 ELDORADO ETC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry it took so long to get back to you yes i have removed and replaced the evaporator this way it was not easy alot of skined knuckles but i did it

Thank You

1 - 8 of 8 Posts