Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings...Hope you all are having a nice summer...On to the problem: My '02 ETC had sat unused for a few weeks, and I decided to switch cars and get it out. I got in an turned the key and...nothing. I had lights, stereo, everthing except ignition. So I look at the key, and it has the pellet in it for the VATS system like my mid-eighties Corvette. I figured it had the same problem of no-contact with the pellet, so I cleaned up the key so it would make good contact and I waited 5 minutes before I tried to re-start it. My old Vette system wouldn't let you start the car until the system reset, which took 4 minutes. When I tried again, same thing, it wouldn't start. Then something funny happened, hence my post: Immediately after it wouldn't start the second time, I tried it again, and it fired right up. Never got it to do it again. If it was the security system, I can't understand how it would start without waiting a certain time period. Any ideas on what occured? I'm stumped at this point, and obviously don't want this to happen again. Thanks, Jim

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
The '02 does not use the "pellet" resistor system. There is a transponder in the key head. It is "PassKey III" I believe. Keep a spare key handy just in case.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ranger, as always I appreciate your response. I obviously need to brush up on this vehicle. It does have a pellet in the key as stated. It looks exactly like the key in my old Corvette. Is this part of the security system you're talking about? If it is, how does it differ from VATS? I'll do some digging on my own, but thanks again...Jim

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
:hmm:
It does have a pellet in the key as stated.
Are you sure? I swear my '02 SLS was PasskeyIII (no "pellet"). Yes it is part of the security system. VATS read s one of 15 resistor values to match what the PCM has. Passkey III has an infinite number of codes in the key head transponder. Much like VATS, before the car will start, the codes must match. But unlike VATS the transponder "talks" to the PCM. I guess simply put Passkey is electronic, more sophisticated, harder to bypass (more secure) and VATS is mechanical (easy to bypass).

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
Ranger / Jim - my 01 (Eldo) key has the pellet. My 02 key (the deville) is the big thick Passkey/3 type. Perhaps Jim has an early 02 before they changed? (or perhaps it is actually an 01 MY ????

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Eldo never updated any of its systems
PK2 was in the eldo all the way till 02
no sense in upgrading a car which was being killed off i suppose...

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you both for your replies...It has the pellet for sure and it is an '02. I was suprised I'd never noticed it before. I'm still stumped as to why it did this and hope it was just a momentary glitch that I never hear from again. I'll let you all know if it does.

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
Interesting. Maybe CadillacSTS2003 has a point. FWIW, my '97 (VATS) did a no start one time. I figured it was the original gold key. I mic'd the resistor and there was quite a difference between it and my spare so I figured it was worn contacts and purchased a new key, but kept using that gold key and it never did it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts