Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I've done alot of reading on the ETC's suspension system, but I've still got a few questions on the way it functions. First, if I'm correct, only the rear suspension is dependent on the air-ride (leveling)system? Is there any air going to the front struts?

Secondly, the variable suspension - is that on all 4 corners of the car? If I recall, it's based on the "electronic strut" with the metallic fluid in it? Are the rear air-struts ALSO electronically controlled (with the 'metallic-fluid' strut) for ride quality? Or are they only air-controlled in the rear?

However it works, it's by far the nicest feature I've had on a car. There's nothing greater than having a firm ride at speed, yet a soft (but not mushy) ride when cruising through the suburbs.

Oh, last question! I recall hearing somewhere that the Caddy's have a "emergency-braking" feature along with the ABS - if you apply the brakes quickly, they react by applying 100% force instantaneously... is there any truth to this, or is this just a typical function to an advanced ABS system?

Sorry about all the questions! Thanks in advance for the input!

-Scott

1997 Black ETC

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Well.... I think you have the right idea, but you need some tweaking...

Basically all 4 corners have the air ride thing.... They all have air pressure, and solenoids and actuators within the strut assy control the damping force of the strut (giving you a silky smooth ride and wonderful handling)... However, the rear has another little goodie which is the leveling control. Basically what that does is change things around so if you have an uneven load (stuff in the trunk, or rear passenger only on one side), it will keep the back end level.

These DO NOT use the new magnetic ride control used in the brand new cadillacs (XLR and SRX), this is brand new technology....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts