Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have issues with the notorious defective Z95 Magneride systems on their late model Escalade, Yukon or Tahoe? I have a 6 week old that the doctor has ordered not be allowed to ride in my wife's late model Escalade. Apparently this is a well-known and documented major safety issue which GM is well aware of but has failed to remedy for its customers. I've been dealing with corporate directly but they have been absolutely zero help so I have ordered parts necessary to convert the system to a traditional strut assembly. If you have, or have had this issue and live in the Boston/Massachusetts area and are willing to be part of an upcoming news special about your Cadillac being unsafe due to this known workmanship defect please let me know ASAP, they are interviewing my wife for the segment next week and are interested in other customer testimonials as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
No would not give it a thought, Overall GM Suv are great, and hauled many of brats to tons of destinations, regardless of the shock or strut or whatever system.

Have to wonder is some of the problems experienced by people are really, driver related, its a truck, SUV, not a handling sports car or sedan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer diagnosed it as a front suspension failure and acknowledged it's a known issue on new models. There were multiple Escalades in there for the same problem when I was there.

·
Super Moderator
6,427 Posts
Please refrain from posting the same thing in multiple locations.

I deleted one of the posts due to it being in the wrong section. I'll let this and the other one stand

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Head thrashing around violently in his car seat with every little bump, aka "shaken baby syndrome." Wife showed the doc a video to ask if she should be concerned and was told not to put him in the Escalade until suspension was fixed.

It's really bad, like the struts are nonexistent, car bounces around like a left coast low-rider. At first I told my wife it was just the 22s, boy was I wrong!

Turns out they all fail at 25-40k miles. GM has a TSB on it but refuses to acknowledge and actually fix the issue. I'm surprised NTSB hasn't stepped in yet, yesterday the front-end wheel hopped on me driving over the Cape Cod Canal bridge so bad that it almost sent me head on into oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My dealer replaced mine early before our warranty ran out. I didn’t even mention it. Outside warranty this is a common failure. Nothing new on this or the last generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aside from my '66 C10 this is my first GM vehicle. I usually stick with Mopar daily drivers and between my wife and I we easily do 60-70k miles per year with literally zero issues in the past 15 years until we bought this pile of crap Escalade less than a year ago!

How on earth does GM have any loyal customers left with a product so bad that break-downs and defects are actually considered acceptable? Understand that nothing is perfect but if an issue this widespread happened to one of my Mopars I can guarantee they would have recalled and repaired at no cost without hesitation!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Aside from my '66 C10 this is my first GM vehicle. I usually stick with Mopar daily drivers and between my wife and I we easily do 60-70k miles per year with literally zero issues in the past 15 years until we bought this pile of crap Escalade less than a year ago!

How on earth does GM have any loyal customers left with a product so bad that break-downs and defects are actually considered acceptable? Understand that nothing is perfect but if an issue this widespread happened to one of my Mopars I can guarantee they would have recalled and repaired at no cost without hesitation!

Than go buy another Fiat

No, the dealer does not have Kool Aid in the customer area. Neither does BMW, Lexus......
Put a brat in the back of BMW X5M, hit a rough road. Gonna bounce the critter around !!!
Lexus with its softer tuned suspension, top heaviness, same gonna move the little darling around !!!

Sound like using a crying brat in the car, too sensationalize a story, get manufacturer to pony up new shocks.
People expect too much out of machines now days. That is all it is, a piece of equipment, that you have too
maintain which is expensive if not under a warranty

·
Super Moderator 2003 Deville Base SEMPER PARATUS
4,331 Posts
Turns out they all fail at 25-40k miles. GM has a TSB on it but refuses to acknowledge and actually fix the issue. I'm surprised NTSB hasn't stepped in yet, yesterday the front-end wheel hopped on me driving over the Cape Cod Canal bridge so bad that it almost sent me head on into oncoming traffic.
TSB's aren't a secret. If they exist they can be found. How did you come to the conclusion that "they all fail at 25-40K"? "notorious defective Z95 Magneride"? Another sweeping generalization. I have no facts to decide either way so my mind is open to hearing more.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
BOSTON & NYC has very rough roads and this can be the reason why there are so many posts objecting to what critics are talking about.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Lol I have 24s on 2016 and the ride is excellent, original suspension with 60k miles now. Vehicles need maintenance, suspension is one of those things. If you drive on crap roads they're probably going to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My '14 Ram is on 22s on those same roads without a single issue after 120k miles. No issues with her previous low pro Rover or two GC Overlands either, and they had far more complex air suspensions...

You folks are scaring the hell out of me claiming that an $1800 repair after less than a year's mileage is acceptable! Is this typical across everything GM makes??? Does GM serve special kool aid in its service waiting room or something that keeps it's owner's coming back for more punishment?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Magnaride shocks have magnetic fluid (picture iron particles suspended in shock oil). This magnetic fluid always allows the shocks characteristics to change when a magnetic field is applied and allows the vehicle to handle better under various road and driving conditions. The downsides are that: 1) When they wear out they get really stiff or seize up. 2) they are expensive to replace.
The reason they get stiff or seize is because that magnetic fluid gets moisture in it and that iron shock oil rusts up and the rust seizes up the shock operation. When the shocks on your '14 Ram wear out, they get soft and don't really absorb shock as well. But you don't really notice it because its not rock hard seized up. Around my area of the world, Magnaride shocks last about 50k to 80k miles...sometimes less...sometimes more.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,607 Posts
MRC is a good, reliable, infinitely adjustable suspension control system. My early F55 installation is still just fine - and the car regularly gets the living dog snot run out of it on some pretty weird farm roads east of here. No, it does not - in any way - have a mushy "Cadillac ride", thank heaven.

Here's some homework to clear up what MRC really is and how it works.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lord/delphi+magnetorheological+suspension&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS730US730&oq=lord/delphi+magnetorheological+suspension&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58j0.17911j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,427 Posts
My '14 Ram is on 22s on those same roads without a single issue after 120k miles. No issues with her previous low pro Rover or two GC Overlands either, and they had far more complex air suspensions...

You folks are scaring the hell out of me claiming that an $1800 repair after less than a year's mileage is acceptable! Is this typical across everything GM makes??? Does GM serve special kool aid in its service waiting room or something that keeps it's owner's coming back for more punishment?
Every brand has their issues, and every now and then a car makes it out the door that shouldn't been held back for whatever reason.

Personally, I have nothing against Dodge, but would never own a Dodge branded vehicle. (I do have a jeep wrangler) I grew up listening to my father say I wouldn't be caught dead in a Dodge, he was a Chevy man.

We just have to find what's best for each of us.

·
Super Moderator 2003 Deville Base SEMPER PARATUS
4,331 Posts

I'm getting the feeling that you came to the forums to gain sympathy and/or support for a warranty claim or legal claim. Doesn't seem like you're getting that. I have GM and Ford vehicles and don't recall any special kool aid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Simply trying to understand why GM is the only mfg who doesn't stand behind their product. I am obviously not loyal to any one brand, I have a '66 C10 and the Escalade in my garage, twin 454 GMs in my boat, and have had many Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Nissan work trucks over the years. Apparently I struck a nerve in here because I also happen to own a Ram that has been bulletproof?

Ironically Ford just issued a suspension recall for an issue which is dwarfed by GM's magneride issues. Why? Because it's the right thing to do when you know you are selling a flawed product! Amazes me that GM won't stand behind a suspension they put in their top of the line trucks and flagship $90k SUV, where is GM's quality control and customer satisfaction initiative? Why wouldn't they hold AC Delco responsible and work with them to execute a recall?

https://www.truck180.com/ford-recalls-1-2m-explorer-suvs-f-150s-suspension-transmission-woes/

1 - 20 of 41 Posts