Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the market for a new high end SUV and would like
some opinions from current 2015i Escalade owners.
the top 3 SUV's available seem to be the Escalade,
LX570 and the MB GL63. i looked at the MB G550
and G63 AMG but they're too boxy and not real
roomy inside. price is not an issue.

·
Registered
Cadillac
27 Posts
I love it when people say price isn't the issue :) Buy all 3. LOL....Just kidding.

My wife has a GL63 and I just picked up a 2015 Escalade.

I believe size will depend on if you want the Escalade vs. the other two. One of my partners has the Lexus, and although it is nice, to me it doesn't compare to the two that we have.

Now the differences:

GL63 is a beast - Very little compares the the BiTurbo AMG in my opinion (I have had a C63, CLS63, G63 and GL63). I also am a die hard Corvette fan so please don't leave out the American Muscle....

I am very impressed with the refinements of the Escalade. I had a 2007 previously and this is MUCH nicer in my opinion.

If you don't need the room, and WANT a smaller SUV, Go GL.....but keep in mind 140K loaded is much different than 80-90K nicely optioned vehicle. Maintenance requires deep pockets on the GL. We go through brake pads every 6K miles, Tires every 7-10K miles.

You are on a Cadillac Forum, so naturally there will be biases. Drive both and see which fits your bill.

SC

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
GL shouldn't be in the same category as the Escalade. The GL is a unibody SUV (X166) while the Escalade is a Body on frame truck based SUV (GMT900) same body frame as the Silverado.

Since I leased a 2015 GL550 (since the GL63 is way out of my price range to lease), to me they drive similar to an S-Class, but I can't question their throttle response. It's quick. Plus the bad part of the GL is the space. Feels too small compared the Escalade which has so much space. The Escalade ESV give it more cargo room without folding the seat where the GL you have to fold the third row. Escalades are great for long haul travels and handling heavy cargo.

Pro of GL: Great for city limits and parking in tight spots.
Cons of GL: Tires wear out due to the double wishbone suspension design. Have to buy the Prepaid Maintenance to save money otherwise it's 450-800 bucks for service.

Pros of Escalade: 4 years/50 free service(includes oil changes tire rotation), more leg room and space. More cargo room for heavy cargo
Cons of Escalade: Hard to park and maneuver around congested areas. Some vibrational issues, but will get better over the coming years.

If you are thinking of getting the Escalade, I suggest you wait for the 2016. They are coming out with better features like lane keeping assist, updated cue system, refined camera system.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
GL shouldn't be in the same category as the Escalade. The GL is a unibody SUV (X166) while the Escalade is a Body on frame truck based SUV (GMT900) same body frame as the Silverado.

Since I leased a 2015 GL550 (since the GL63 is way out of my price range to lease), to me they drive similar to an S-Class, but I can't question their throttle response. It's quick. Plus the bad part of the GL is the space. Feels too small compared the Escalade which has so much space. The Escalade ESV give it more cargo room without folding the seat where the GL you have to fold the third row. Escalades are great for long haul travels and handling heavy cargo.

Pro of GL: Great for city limits and parking in tight spots.
Cons of GL: Tires wear out due to the double wishbone suspension design. Have to buy the Prepaid Maintenance to save money otherwise it's 450-800 bucks for service.

Pros of Escalade: 4 years/50 free service(includes oil changes tire rotation), more leg room and space. More cargo room for heavy cargo
Cons of Escalade: Hard to park and maneuver around congested areas. Some vibrational issues, but will get better over the coming years.

If you are thinking of getting the Escalade, I suggest you wait for the 2016. They are coming out with better features like lane keeping assist, updated cue system, refined camera system.
After 3 GL's over 8 years: The Escalade is a luxurious beast...with more room, comfort and an "industrial grade" 4WD system. The quality of the interior work on my Premium is equal to , and in some ways better than, the GL's. The LED lights on the front end are beyond most everything on the road! The GL has an engineering "sophistication" that is probably ahead of the Caddy....but like as was said, you pay for that when you go for service! All in all....I am very happy that I made the switch.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade ESV Premium
79 Posts
didn't consider the Lexus, but we did drive the GL550 and the Escalade back to back. I'd say the GL drives much more like a car, and quite simply handles better. The 4WD system is proven and reliable. Interior quality is superior to GM as well.

Escalade has come a LONG way - far superior to the previous model, much more comfortable with vastly improved ride over previous model year.

The issue for me is space - the GL is VERY small inside and wouldn't work for our family - the middle row is bench only, so the third row feels very cramped.

People pan the CUE system all the time - I'd say its pretty comparable or better than both BMW iDrive and Mercedes technology.

In the end, size trumped handling and interior quality.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
After 3 GL's over 8 years: The Escalade is a luxurious beast...with more room, comfort and an "industrial grade" 4WD system. The quality of the interior work on my Premium is equal to , and in some ways better than, the GL's. The LED lights on the front end are beyond most everything on the road! The GL has an engineering "sophistication" that is probably ahead of the Caddy....but like as was said, you pay for that when you go for service! All in all....I am very happy that I made the switch.
sophistication means the airmatic suspension and the driver's distronic package but beyond that, everything is not par with the escalade. the GL's multimedia is very cumbersome. I have subscription to the MB apps and the MBrace but it is not touch screen and you have to use the dial or the new manual device. CUE with onstar have them beat. the internet radio is missing unlike the pandora which is moot since I have xm already. I like the two speed transfercase of the new escalade which is a proper 4wd. you can say that it can match the range rover and jeep in 4wd capability. the 4matic is okay but 4wd is better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm definitely leaning towards the Escalade, can anyone tell me what the
extra $8k for the Platinum gets you. i've searched and found nothing and
even the salesman at my local dealer didn't know.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
230 Posts
Alcantara headliner
Headrest DVD screens
Message seats
More leather on the steering wheel
Platinum wheels
Platinum Grille
Upgraded leather
Cooler (useless though)
Upgraded exterior colors NOT additional cost on Platinum
Dashboard, upper door panels and center console are clad in hand-stitched and hand-wrapped leather

i'm definitely leaning towards the Escalade, can anyone tell me what the
extra $8k for the Platinum gets you. i've searched and found nothing and
even the salesman at my local dealer didn't know.

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
I picked the Escalade over the LX570 due extra space (roomy third row and trunk space) and all the cool new technology. I just got it a little over a month ago, so far so good.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade ESV (Premium)
18 Posts
Sold our 2010 GL450 for our ESV solely due to needing extra space. Needed captain's chairs in the second row and needed more trunk space with the third row up. Had it not been for that, we would have traded in our 5 years old GL for a 2015 model. I currently also have a 2013 LX and to be honest I am really liking the ESV better so far. Only had it for two months, but it is a nice and roomy suv. I do like the interior fit and finish of both the GL and LX over the caddy. Some things in the caddy are still just cheap to me. The GL drove the best of the three. The LX even in 'sport' mode is still to 'wobbly' to me. The GL was nice and stiff. ESV is not too bad to be honest as far as ride/steering.

The Lexus nav/media/infotainment system is great. Very user friendly and also very fast. The CUE is nice, but it does have its issues. Rather slow in responding to inputs. Also freezes when changing media types. Slow in switching to Nav/AC/Media. The 2015 GL is still dated in that dept to be honest.

If space is not an issue, I'd def take the GL 63/550 over the other two. If space is an issue the non ESV Escy is really the same as the other three in that dept. The LX does have a wider, more spacious second row bench than the GL, perhaps the same as the Escy.

Also while I am new to Caddy, I don't think the Escy nor the GL will have the long term reliability of Lexus. Have had Lexus vehicles for the past 15 years and not one of them had any issues. Just simple maintenance. The GL was not too bad in five years, but we did have some costly things that came up of course right after the 50K was up.

My family needed space and quick access to the third row with two big car seats. The ESV was the only luxury suv that fit the bill. Plain and simple.

--Nate

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
NateESV said:
......... while I am new to Caddy, I don't think the Escy nor the GL will have the long term reliability of Lexus. Have had Lexus vehicles for the past 15 years and not one of them had any issues. Just simple maintenance. The GL was not too bad in five years, but we did have some costly things that came up of course right after the 50K was up. My family needed space and quick access to the third row with two big car seats. The ESV was the only luxury suv that fit the bill. Plain and simple. --Nate

In terms of SUV reliability, I think the escalade is comparable to all luxury SUV's......

https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157649362208103

1 - 12 of 12 Posts