Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I bought my 2002 Escalade in May of 05 and I'm hearing some noices that I never heard on my Pathfinder (yes i know 2 different worlds). When I start the truck, in the back driver side something turns on and sounds like a pump or something. What the HELL is that? I've heard "its the gas pump" or "its your suspension leveling out" ??????????????????

Also I've noticed my lights flickering. The dome light and the headlights, especially when parked in front of a garage door I can see the lights almost pulsating. Or when I give it gas, i see the lights get brighter. Alternator problem maybe? :confused: :confused:

Any ideas?

Also I only have 28000 miles on and wondering if there is any extended warranty I can for it or something?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the noise in the rear is the pump or the suspen.
As far as the lights that sounds electrical. Take it to a GM Dealer and they can inspect it and offer you a warranty. I brought a 03 and almost purchased a warranty on line but decided to go w/the dealer.

Good Luck

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
Yea, the noise is the air compressor filling up the rear shocks in the back, they are air leveling. The flicker light problem could be the sign of a bad battery/alternator. I would have a test done on the electrical system.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
slk230mb said:
Yea, the noise is the air compressor filling up the rear shocks in the back, they are air leveling. The flicker light problem could be the sign of a bad battery/alternator. I would have a test done on the electrical system.
Thats what i thought. Do all Escalades do this? My buddy with a Navi said Escalades don't have air shocks like the Navi, but I was like he's just jealous I have an Escalade lol.

·
Registered
03 Escalade, 06 SRX
6,888 Posts
Also check your battery terminals for corrosion, clean if necessary. Let us know what happens.

Yes all Escalades have the air compressor to lift the rear up after something weighs it down or you park on a incline. In both the 2WD and 4WD models.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
boombotz said:
Also check your battery terminals for corrosion, clean if necessary. Let us know what happens.

Yes all Escalades have the air compressor to lift the rear up after something weighs it down or you park on a incline. In both the 2WD and 4WD models.
Nice! I'll try that for the lights. Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
boombotz said:

Ok, so i checked the battery for corrosion and its clean. So is it safe to say it could be the alternator? :confused:

·
Registered
02 Escalade
199 Posts
I had the same problem in my 02. After installing the JL 500/1 for the subs the problem became worse. I switched out the battery for an Optima red top and the light problem went away. If I remember correctly the 02 has a lower rated alternator than the 03+, can someone verify that.

Walter

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hove an 02 as well and the lights flicker i am going to install a red top optima this weekend as well as install a bigger alternator I think you are right the 02 has a lower amp alternator, we will see what happens.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZX_man said:
I had the same problem in my 02. After installing the JL 500/1 for the subs the problem became worse. I switched out the battery for an Optima red top and the light problem went away. If I remember correctly the 02 has a lower rated alternator than the 03+, can someone verify that.

Walter
Red Optima? Where can I get that in CT

·
Registered
02 Escalade
199 Posts
I got mine at Sams club, I've also seen them at Pep Boys, and most auto parts stores. Shop around, I picked mine up for $100, but I've seen the red top go for as much as $165!!

Regards

Walter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts