Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leased a 2019 Cadillac Escalade and found it to be an Incredible Vehicle however one day I parked the car on a slight incline and switched off the vehicle button leaving it in Drive
The Vehicle rolled back and smashed in to another car causing over $3000 in damage
When i called Cadillac they said you should have put the car in Park before switching off the engine
My understanding in leasing this vehicle was that it had all the safety features such as blind spot,collision , emergency breaking so why would the vehicle roll back
Very Disappointed and yes I tried the same thing in Lexus 570 and it did not roll back in Drive

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,999 Posts
A dead car with an automatic transmission in any position other than P will roll easily. There's no power or engine to run things. The engine running is what supplies fluid pressure to engage clutches and "gears" - without that fluid pressure the transmission is "free-wheeling". P places a hardened metal pawl into the output shaft and locks the drive wheels.

Don't know about the ricer - never drove one.

Welcome to CF !!!

When all else fails, read the instructions. The owner's manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife has a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with the same push start button and i tried the same by pushing the start /stop button switch off while in drive on an incline and the vehicle did not roll back
This is a serious safety issue which all Cadillac owners should be aware off and yes for a $100k Vehicle I expect and everyone deserves better from Cadillac

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,949 Posts
What do they teach in drivers ed these days?

I admit it was many decades ago for me, but putting a car in park before releasing the brake to leave it was job 1.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I can look at my blind spot but I pay to have Blind Spot Warning
Yes I can break in advance but I choose to pay for Emergency Braking
We have the technology to help us drive safer of course you use your judgement
If Jeep can have the safety of not allowing truck to rollback then I expect more from Cadillac
This is a series safety issue which must be addressed by Cadillac

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,624 Posts
I cannot fathom anyone parking an automatic (or even a manual) tranmission car on an incline without setting the parking brake and/or putting it in Park (or in gear on a manual transmission). It's a basic common sense (not to mention driver ed.) rule that has been around as long as there have been cars or even wagons for that matter. Blaming Cadillac is a cop out that doesn't hold water.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Mistakes happen. Automatic transmissions, when not shifted to park and turned off, are basically in neutral, since there is no way for the parking pawl to be put in parked position without actually shifting to park physically. Any vehicle will roll at this state. A turned off car will also not assist in braking, the sensors are all turned off with the start/stop switch. NO cars will keep the emergency braking system ready if they're turned off, I mean what's the point if the vehicle is off?

I'm afraid that this is on you 100%. It's probably not what you wanted to hear on these forums, but your mistake is your mistake. Perhaps it is time for you to start making a habit to engage parking brakes every time you exit the vehicle. It's a good one that will save you from this kinda "problems". Again, mistakes happen.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,084 Posts
ya - it's pretty tough to remember to put an automatic trans in PARK before shutting the engine off - NOT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid for these services and expect more from Cadillac and so should you
Most of the replies are from owners who have very old vehicles and may not be familiar with the new safety features in the industry
Others like Jeep or Lexus do not Roll Back when Stop/Start Button is pressed

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I only list Cadillacs on my profile. However, how an automatic transmission works is still the same. The only thing I can think of is if the car has electronic parking brake and you set the parking brake to automatically engage when you put it in park. Even then, it only works if you shift your vehicle to park first. Conveniently you listed some vehicles in your previous posts, so I did some research. I know Jeep Wranglers don't have EPB so that's out. It will roll if left in drive in a grade. And the lexus has auto EPB but it only works when you shift to park first, it will not work if the vehicle is turned off before doing so.

There might be something you didn't tell us?

·
Administrator
67,999 Posts
My late 2014 Ford Explorer will not allow you to remove the key (no, not pushbutton) if the shift stick is not in P.

Strange that your other vehicles do not require some sort of safety locking (P and/or parking brake) when turning it off and leaving.

What do your other vehicles' owner's manuals say to do when turning off and leaving the car - not a guess - quotes. Is there a statement that "You may stop the engine and leave the car without either setting the parking brake or engaging P in the transmission" ?

"Emergency braking" -
If you're referring to Antilock Brake System that's to prevent skids and loss of control. "Brake Assist" engages when higher than normal brake pedal pressure is required. Someone who does not use a swivel neck and mirrors - regardless of bells and whistles - is a careless, dangerous driver.

After doing some Google online searches of various vehicles, owner's manuals, and safety features it appears that you were mistaken in the belief that simply turning off the engine engages some sort of braking system. If i were your insurance underwriter I'd hold you accountable for the damages.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was not a problem when you have to use a key as even the cheapest of vehicles will not allow you to take the key out unless you are in park
Problem is with the push start button when switched off starts rolling however the same does not happen with Lexus or The New Jeep Wrangler
I do agree with Ranger that i should file the complaint with the NHTSA
By the way this was my 3rd Escalade and before I had 2 Suburbans and a Yukon XL
I do not understand why you would not want more from Escalade .. I do and am willing to pay

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Because something sounds flawed in your testing. Do the vehicles you mentioned not use hydraulic automatic transmissions?

As far as I know, a newer Escalade with push button start will not turn off if you do not shift your car to park first. Your dash displays messages about shifting to park, and then it will turn if if you do. There are bypasses for this in case of emergency (which you might have triggered), but these should have been enough reminders for you.

Off topic, but this reminds of a recent crash happened in Korea with a new Hyundai equipped with a button shifter. A lady backed up her car, and then "mistakenly" pressed R again to go forward on a downhill, essentially leaving the car in reverse in a forward rolling condition. There were visible and audible warnings about pressing the same gear range again, and the car shut off eventually when it started rolling "backwards" towards to the front in reverse to prevent damage to the powertrain (because the transmission will act like it is in neutral with the engine off!). Ignoring all the warnings on the dash and the still displaying back-up camera, she continued forward downhill in a shut-off car now basically in neutral, not knowing that something is not normal, and used up all the brake vacuum boost trying to chat up someone walking outside. Still not noticing all the warnings and the suddenly whisper quiet engine, she rolled forward even more and the brake booster lost all the vacuum, causing her to lose control and roll the car over.

She tried to blame the car that it pulled a Toyota (claimed it unintentionally accelerated), and uploaded her dashcam videos herself. When people watched videos and started talking about how it's her fault, she then changed the topic to how it shouldn't have shut off to protect powertrain in such conditions, and wanted Hyundai to replace her totaled car with the new top of the line Genesis GV80. On top of a total of $300k for trauma compensation. And firing 3 representatives that basically told her it's her fault. This fight's still ongoing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello maeng9981,
I love my Escalade and i do not know what hydraulic automatic transmission is
I have also more than 45 years of experience driving in Europe Africa and Canada
I have verified this fault with Cadillac Dealership and Cadillac and would like Cadillac to fix this issue

·
Administrator
67,999 Posts
With all due respect, it's not a fault. Set the parking brake and/or shift to P before you turn it off. I've been driving since only 1953 (America, Canada, Mexico, Italy, Germany, France, Spain) - never learned squat.

Read the owner's manual. Please post when GM "fixes" the imagined fault. Please see P. 220 and adjacent pages. As posted, when all else fails, read the instructions.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
452 Posts
If Jeep can have the safety of not allowing truck to rollback then I expect more from Cadillac
Jeep had a recall probably because theirs cause at least one death that we know of.(Antron Yelchin).
Hello maeng9981,

I have also more than 45 years of experience driving in Europe Africa and Canada
I have verified this fault with Cadillac Dealership and Cadillac and would like Cadillac to fix this issue
I have 50 years driving experience only in America, and I know better than to get out of a car on an incline and not have it in park or set the parking brake.

There is no problen(with the vehicle) to fix.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,084 Posts
Most of the replies are from owners who have very old vehicles and may not be familiar with the new safety features in the industry
=========================
Most of the replies are from owners who have very old vehicles and know how DRIVE -
start - stop - look at the rear and side view mirrors -and steer a car - all by ourselves -

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,624 Posts
Even if true, that doesn't mean anyone should be surprised if they read the manual. It wasn't a secret and quite common across vehicles to put them in park.

And if it isn't obvious, the fact that x other cars you tested did not roll does not prove they won't roll if there is one more degree of incline or one more pound of air pressure in the tires, or one more MPH of headwind, or.... There is a certain resistance to rolling for any vehicle. Your Escalade would not roll either on some lessor incline. What did the owner's manual for those other vehicles say about the need to leave vehicles in park?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts