Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took a course online through GM's training website to introduce me to some of the features including the 300 Volt battery!
There are 3 electrical systems on this truck, 300 volts, 42 volts and the traditional 12 volt systems.
The AC compressor will be electric, the power steering will be electric, and the power systems have their own separate cooling system.
The 300 Volt battery will be underneath a redesigned lighter second row seat setup and has many integrated safety features including special covers on all high voltage related components.

It is pretty crazy I tell you. I sure hope no one gets hurt servicing these things.

Here is a picture of the 300V battery (cutaway style)

Attachments

·
Registered
White diamond '04 Escalade AWD
122 Posts
Hybrid? Really? Is this going to be an electric only or gas/electric? When is this due out? What kind of HP, torque, and off-the-line speeds are they predicting? More info please! :)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The course I took was more on safety for servicing the vehicle.
It will have a variable valve timing 6.0 liter V8 and a special transmission that will probably require a few training courses of its own. They barely touched on it but it has some major electrical components inside for sure.

It focused mostly on how to work with the systems and what the components are. The sales guys get more info on horsepower and specs.
I think they are still testing it right now, I saw some info that they are testing them in the desert.
I have heard production will start this fall, and based on the info I saw in the training course I believe it.

I saw another good picture in the course, I'll see if I can get my hands on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Hybrid? Really? Is this going to be an electric only or gas/electric? When is this due out? What kind of HP, torque, and off-the-line speeds are they predicting? More info please! :)
They'll be the first FULL Hybrid from GM, of the 2-mode variety. I.E., at stop, the gas engine will shut off, but they can then also power themselves up to a certain speed on full electric before the gas engine starts back in, and then afterwards the electric helps the gas one out.

They will be out pretty soon, and seem to perform well. Here's a quote from another GM board from someone who drove one:

Anyway, I got to drive a Two-Mode Escalade today. The marketing team brought a couple Escalades, some Yukons and Tahoes, and two Silverados! ALL WITH TWO-MODE HYBRID DRIVE SYSTEMS!!! Holy poop I was excited.

The Escalade drove very smoothly. It went in electric-only mode until about 10-15 mph, and the gasoline engine turned on seamlessly. I have driven a Prius and the Escalade was a MUCH smoother ride. I heard similar comments from my co-workers who got to drive the other vehicles. One of the Silverados and one of the Tahoes were out of commission for some reason, hopefully nothing serious.

I don't think any of this is secret, so hopefully nobody gets angry (the "Hybrid" lables on the car were not covered up or anything). But I didn't previously know that the Silverado was also getting the Two-Mode system. Hopefully they sell like hotcakes come next year.
i forgot to mention, the guy in charge said he could get 29 mpg on the highway from the Escalade. let me type that again :29 mpg from an Escalade!

he said he could get that number because he "knows how to drive it to get maximum efficiency" whatever that means. i assume he meant he was driving the speed limit, or maybe under. he said that over time he has averaged 23 mpg in combined driving.

also, the dash has a screen that shows the energy coming from battery, engine, or a combination from the two, and it also showed energy being returned to the battery while braking (very similar to the screen in the Prius if you have seen that.)
And, of course, the pictures of a test mule (really no difference except for a new Hybrid emblem and gauge cluster modification):

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/rollin.-greeny/spy-photos-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-260002.php

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C12711/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts