Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a plug and play conversion kit to change my headlights to led? I purchased some replacement headlights that came off a 08 Escalade esv and the ballast off my base model Escalade does not fit . Can someone tell me the difference in the ballasts or direct me to a plug and play led option

thanks in advance

·
Registered
171 Posts
As far as I know the Platinum edition headlights are plug and play led headlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
510 Posts
Definitely not plug n play. Some of the earliest threads on this show a few successes by individuals who purchased the parts and got a tech qualified enough to get them up and running.

For now, the eBay seller here made
them plug n play with the correct harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
171 Posts
Definitely not plug n play. Some of the earliest threads on this show a few successes by individuals who purchased the parts and got a tech qualified enough to get them up and running.

For now, the eBay seller here made
them plug n play with the correct harness.

Man the pretty pricey to want to switch to led’s but I know these headlight units aren’t cheap ether

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
510 Posts
This is a good read on how the first Escalade owners dealt with trying to swap Platinum headlights in place of the HID lamps. One of the reads states that using all new OEM parts ran 5-$6K for the swap. The slam dunk eBay version with a harness is a deal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can swap the LED headlights without the harness from the platinum. Literally the only thing you don't retain are the daytime running lamps. Everything else works as it should.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
510 Posts
Please let us know the work around for the differing harness connections and changes to the pin out between the two harnesses.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Please let us know the work around for the differing harness connections and changes to the pin out between the two harnesses.

I'll have to dig up the diagrams form when I did it. It helps if you already have the platinum headlight plug, if not, you can just order one from mouser and make it yourself. Basically I just matched the wires up from the HID lamp to the LED lamp. Low beam to low beam, high beam to high beam, parking to parking, and bulb out detection to bulb out detection. It works just the same as it would with the HID lamp. There are two leftover wires from the DRL because the LED housing has NO dedicated DRL lamp, it just used the low beams and used a resistor in the harness to dim them. Also, I think the platinum lamp has an extra ground with I just spliced with one of the existing grounds. I wouldn't want to use those anyway as it will just shorten the life of the non-replaceable LED's in the headlamp assembly.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
510 Posts
For the sake of other owners spinning their interweb wheels, I’ve got to call out that “cutting & splicing” Platinum or 2012 / 2013 Premium bees eye LED headlights into a non equipped Escalade is not possible without several other modifications.

This is based off a 2010 post from this forum ...

I'll have to dig up the diagrams form when I did it. It helps if you already have the platinum headlight plug, if not, you can just order one from mouser and make it yourself. Basically I just matched the wires up from the HID lamp to the LED lamp. Low beam to low beam, high beam to high beam, parking to parking, and bulb out detection to bulb out detection. It works just the same as it would with the HID lamp. There are two leftover wires from the DRL because the LED housing has NO dedicated DRL lamp, it just used the low beams and used a resistor in the harness to dim them. Also, I think the platinum lamp has an extra ground with I just spliced with one of the existing grounds. I wouldn't want to use those anyway as it will just shorten the life of the non-replaceable LED's in the headlamp assembly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For the sake of other owners spinning their interweb wheels, I’ve got to call out that “cutting & splicing” Platinum or 2012 / 2013 Premium bees eye LED headlights into a non equipped Escalade is not possible with several other modifications.

This is based off a 2010 post from this forum ...

Well, if you are incapable of reading the electrical pinout of some plugs, matching circuit numbers and wire colors. Then yes, this is probably not a project for you. The diagrams even list every single terminal and plug you would need which you can get for super cheap from mouser for example if you don't have the original plugs. For example, here are the diagrams from a 2007 HID and 2011 LED lamp. Pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well, if you are incapable of reading the electrical pinout of some plugs, matching circuit numbers and wire colors. Then yes, this is probably not a project for you. The diagrams even list every single terminal and plug you would need which you can get for super cheap from mouser for example if you don't have the original plugs. For example, here are the diagrams from a 2007 HID and 2011 LED lamp. Pretty straightforward. View attachment 595526
View attachment 595527
View attachment 595528
View attachment 595529
Can you please tell me where you got these plug diagrams.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
510 Posts
Well, if you are incapable of reading the electrical pinout of some plugs, matching circuit numbers and wire colors. Then yes, this is probably not a project for you. The diagrams even list every single terminal and plug you would need which you can get for super cheap from mouser for example if you don't have the original plugs. For example, here are the diagrams from a 2007 HID and 2011 LED lamp. Pretty straightforward.
No one is questioning anyone's abilities in what's been accomplished using diagrams from GM trucks that are similar to the Escalade. It's what's been left out that creates the concern.

1) GM part numbers have been left out.
2) Links to pages on Mouser or any references to the proper terminal pins or insulators to perform the swap are missing.
3) The correct crimp tool must be used. Having them back out or corrode is not an option.
4) If it's being implied connections made between the old/new harness and the old/new GM crimp connectors used were generic hardware store butt connectors hacked in, that must be stated.
5) I have no dog in a fight to condemn what you've accomplished. I do have a major concern that someone following you're advice to cut, splice and match wires of certain colors will do some major harm to their vehicle. Will you take responsibility for that? Hell no! You'll blame them for being stupid and not doing enough research.
6) Take a look at the pics posted that show the install into Waterking's 07 Escalade 3-28-13 ... Conversion ...
Pictures show it's a major undertaking. The harnesses on an 07/08, 09, 10 and 2011 and up are all different. There's no mention of the correct resistors, specifications or part numbers needed or what the work around for keeping the DRL functional was. I could go on, but it's not necessary.

This is how the information should be shared ...

Waterman's Swap post # 129

Waterman's Complete Solution jumping BCM Control Wires

Add'l Relay Added to Retain use of DLR Relay in HID vehicle

I've taken the long way around the block to restate what I posted on 3-2-21 ...

For the sake of other owners spinning their interweb wheels, I’ve got to call out that “cutting & splicing” Platinum or 2012 / 2013 Premium bees eye LED headlights into a non equipped Escalade is not possible without several other modifications.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am not here to give someone a step by step on how to do anything nor am I making a guarantee on anything. Why would I take responsibility for what someone else does to their car? I simply shared what I did. Do what you will with it. It is also not my responsibility to do someone else's research for them. Yes, that conversion WateKing is a major undertaking. Not worth it in my opinion. The lights aren't even that great. The factory HID headlamps with a projector upgrade would blow the OEM LED headlights out of the water.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
510 Posts
I take (no) responsibility for what someone else does to their car(?) I simply shared what I did. Do what you will with it. It is also not my responsibility to do someone else's research for them.
Done, I suggested a concern, you reaffirmed it. It’s in the open, everyone’s the wiser for it, no harm done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts