Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Escalade Platinum, 1984 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 2011 Platinum but absolutely cant believe its missing a few things at this price. First, rain sense wipers are an absolute must at this price level. Theres no excuse for that feature to be missing. Second, you still need a key? Is that a joke? This car should have keyless ignition like Lexus without question. Third, the car is huge and has NO storage compartments! I still cant believe the front center console is all there is for storage. There should absolutely be a huge console between the seats in the second row, which also looks awesome on top of being useful. Finally, the third row seats are completely useless. USELESS. I cannot sit in them for more than two minutes without suffering back pain. They might be the most uncomfortable seats ever put in any vehicle. This car could have been perfect. These shortcomings are inexcusable

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,488 Posts
I love my 2011 Platinum but absolutely cant believe its missing a few things at this price. First, rain sense wipers are an absolute must at this price level. Theres no excuse for that feature to be missing. Second, you still need a key? Is that a joke? This car should have keyless ignition like Lexus without question. Third, the car is huge and has NO storage compartments! I still cant believe the front center console is all there is for storage. There should absolutely be a huge console between the seats in the second row, which also looks awesome on top of being useful. Finally, the third row seats are completely useless. USELESS. I cannot sit in them for more than two minutes without suffering back pain. They might be the most uncomfortable seats ever put in any vehicle. This car could have been perfect. These shortcomings are inexcusable
Wipers aren’t an issue for me, mine sits in the garage on rainy days; hoping to cut down on undercarriage rust. Have you seen the undercarriages of some of these cars? Yes, there is no reason to still be using a key, I’m reminded of this as my key FOB swings back and forth rubbing the steering column as I drive. The factory offers a console for the second row but I do not know if they offer it in the Platinum colors, regardless; it should be a part of the Platinum package. The back seats, I don’t care about. I own the car so I’m not sitting back there but I do feel sorry for whoever does. Overall, I couldn’t agree with you more. An $85,000 car with no place to store my sunglasses, but I wouldn't trade it for the world, because I do like this car..........

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE
595 Posts
I completely agree and wrote about some of the same things when i got my 2010 ESV Premium a few months ago.
With a car seat in the 2nd row buckets, my 2 year olds legs are in the back of the seat while i'm driving. This is absurd for the largest SUV on the road.

For the rear center console, mine came with one. Looks like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
2010 Escalade and 2017 Escalade ESV
123 Posts
I agree, my 40k dollar infiniti had more features and a better build quality, with better ergonomics than my escalade. I miss the keyless entry, push button start, all windows being 1 touch up/down, first aid kit, telescoping steering wheel, the ease of use of the navi and bluetooth, and throttle response.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Deville
127 Posts
I've had the 07 now for less than 12 hours, so I might not have the best insight, but...

Rain sensing wipers? Mine has them. 2010 doesn't?
Keyless ignition? Nice feature, for sure, but I guess I'm such an old school guy that taking the 2 seconds to put the key in ignition and turning it is not such a big deal.
Storage? I guess I'll agree on that. Expedition has much more of it between the front seats and my wife definitely used it. So..., maybe this helps to somewhat reduce the clutter.
Third row room? I've yet to see an SUV with comfortable third row. Expedition/Navigator do have better room, though, but I guess it's mostly due to the rear axle design.

Then again... I didn't pay anywhere near 85K, either. :bouncy:

That storage thingy doesn't look too bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having driven the Infiniti I definitely disagree about the build quality and ergonomics. I thought the 2011 QX was an awful car to drive and "tin can" like compared to the Caddy in quality. Cadillac is definitely the winner on both compared to Infiniti. However, these other issues need to be addressed by GM. here they are building what s easily the best and highest quality suv you can buy, and yet they failed to finish the job. By the way, that rear console on ebay looks horrible. Cheap plastic looking. It should be finished like the front console

·
Super Moderator
6,488 Posts
I think it would really be nice to have a front console built into the second row. All of the controls on the rear of the front console could be removed and put on the second row console. Would be a very nice addition to the Platinum version, IMO.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Wipers aren’t an issue for me, mine sits in the garage on rainy days; hoping to cut down on undercarriage rust. Have you seen the undercarriages of some of these cars? Yes, there is no reason to still be using a key, I’m reminded of this as my key FOB swings back and forth rubbing the steering column as I drive. The factory offers a console for the second row but I do not know if they offer it in the Platinum colors, regardless; it should be a part of the Platinum package. The back seats, I don’t care about. I own the car so I’m not sitting back there but I do feel sorry for whoever does. Overall, I couldn’t agree with you more. An $85,000 car with no place to store my sunglasses, but I wouldn't trade it for the world, because I do like this car..........
You don't drive it in the rain? Seriously? :helpless:

·
Super Moderator
6,488 Posts
No, I don’t have to. I have other cars I can drive. If I’m out in my Cadillac and I get caught in the rain that’s fine, but I don’t see the need to intentionally leave my house in it if it’s raining. It stays cleaner longer, inside and out, and it minimizes the risk of swirling the paint because I don’t have to clean it as often. I also own some antique cars, would you be surprised to hear that I don’t drive them in inclement weather?

·
Registered
2010 Escalade and 2017 Escalade ESV
123 Posts
I had a g37 sedan, it is better built. Also have a 2011 acura mdx that feels better. Just from opening and closing the doors you can tell the attention to detail, the seats are more supportive, and the third row folds flat instead ofjust flipping up or having to be removed. I still like my caddy, just that for the price it should be more than a tahoe with a pretty grill....

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette
532 Posts
I agree with the comments about rain sense and keyless entry. These two features make me miss my STS. Also, the storage issue is a real problem. I hate listening to things slide around in the back. Try putting a gallon of milk somewhere where it does not fall over. Another feature that would be nice is to be able to operate in rwd during the summer. Other than those gripes a really like mine.

·
Registered
‘21 Escalade PL Platinum
965 Posts

I rarely drive my Cadillacs in the rain.

But that doesn't mean Cadillac should get a pass for removing the rainsensor. Cadillac was first to offer this important feature in the fall of '95 on the '96 DeVille Concours, STS, and Eldorado Touring Coupe. Now that Ford, Mazda, Nissan and other mainstream cars are offering this feature, Cadillac drops it. Go figure.

This, along with the lack of other features my Cadillac cars have had for years led me to pass on the Escalade Platinum, even though I REALLY need the cargo capacity and I REALLY liked it.

For the first time in 25+ years, I don't have a Cadillac in my garage. I wanted another, but not offering a competitive product has forced me to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade White Diamond
147 Posts
I think it is a matter of what striking a balance - what is the minimum they can invest in a vehicle but still sell it.

Competition to the other GM models are fierce, and it can easily become a feature and function contest. How many mid-size sedans are out there in the marketplace? How many crossovers? How many SUVs? GM/Cadillac can't survive in those competition without "basic" stuff like rain sensor wipers and keyless entry.

However, when it comes to the Escalade, it is IMHO in a class of its own. I came from a 2005 BMW 545i so when I chose the Escalade, I definitely wasn't going for its ride or build quality. My 2005 has blue tooth and iPod integration. My 2008 Escalade doesn't. And that list goes quite long in fact.

The unique attributes that drew me to the Escalade are:

- roominess. I need a 7-seater and nothing out there outside of a QX or Navigator could match it. I couldn't stand the other two in looks

- the bling bling factor. Sorry, I know I am shallow. My wife LOVES the Escalade, and I like it just fine. They have successfully created an image about the Escalade that there is just no comparison. See if anyone even take a second look or say anything if you pull up in a ML. The Ranger Rover is the only other vehicle on the road that can come close to this, but it doesn't sit 7.

GM knows the market for the Escalade. It is not for those who look for ride and build quality because really.. how would you even compare? It is good maybe for the 90's. Seen the seats for the infiniti lately? BMW advertises their cars as the ultimate driving machines so they have to go beyond the competition in that category. GM doesn't claim the Escalade to be the ultimate luxury machine. It is what it is and they are trying to keep its profit margin up.

They are selectively taking things off that may be an annoyance but not enough to deter a buyer.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,762 Posts
I have the 2009 escalade hybrid and was bought new. it does have rainsense wipers, key start, lack of storage space, bench 2nd row, etc. but it is the envy of every lexus, infinity, bmw or mercedes on the road. if the gas hits $4, you can count the range rovers and the cayenne in there too:)

·
Registered
'11 Cadillac Escalade
337 Posts
I don't mean to offend any one here but why did you buy an Escalade if you feel it's short on features? I would assume that when shopping for such an expensive item you would research what the vehicle has and doesn't have there are many resources available including this forum to find this information out.

When I purchased my truck I knew what the vehicle was equipped with so I can't really complain too much since I knew when I purchased the vehicle. Also some of the features can be added for example you can install a Floor Console Kit between the 2nd row bucket seats for additional storage.

·
Super Moderator
6,488 Posts
You are absolutely correct. Even with the missing features, its still the greatest SUV on the road. Simply stated, it could have been that much better; and that console would never work in a Platinum edition.....

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE
595 Posts
but it is the envy of every lexus, infinity, bmw or mercedes on the road. if the gas hits $4, you can count the range rovers and the cayenne in there too:)
That's ridiculous.
They are probably thinking...that dude spent way to much money on an overpriced piece of American crap that has 1/4 of the technology of my foreign car and can be stolen by a 4th grader in less than 30 seconds.

Now i'm not saying that I agree with that, i obviously have an Escalade and like it...but I think it's pretty damn lame and pretentious that you feel that every other driver out there is envious of your Escalade. I'm laughing hysterically right now. What a joke.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont think theyre necessarily envious. People who drive Porcshes, BMW's Range Rovers etc, are typically such pompous assh*les I couldnt see that. The fact is however, no matter what they think, the Escalade is a better vehicle than all of them. I walked away so disappointed after driving all of those. The moment I drove the Escalade, I knew it was in a different league. Far better than anything from Europe. BMW's are the most overrated unreliable sh*tboxes you can buy. I know, I owned one, as did my brother & two friends. Guess what brand two of them drive now..... Cadillac

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Deville
127 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting how this thread has now morphed from talking about the shortcomings of the Escalade to bashing other brands. :suspect:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts