Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I've seen this site a few times while searching for information on SUVs, so I decided to finally post here.

I'm in the process of determining which SUV to get to replace my 2005 GMC Yukon XL SLT, which has about 115,000 miles on it.

I, of course, love large SUVs, so I've limited my choices thus far to the Premium ESV, the Platinum ESV, the Yukon XL Denali, the Suburban LTZ, the GL350/450, and the Navigator L. I like the Sequoia, but the cargo space is lacking, to say the least.

With Premium vs. Platinum, I would like the 4 entertainment screens and leather options, but I don't necessarily need those.

I've read that the Suburban lacks the full-speed cruise control, so I'm leaning towards the Denali/ESVs. Are there any other major differences that set the Denali and ESVs apart from the Suburban? I don't expect to do much towing, so would the better engine make a difference? The Denali and ESVs come with the HUD, but does the Suburban?

I love the GL series, but then again, I would like the extra cargo space that the ESV/Denali/Suburbans provide. After all, with the $4,800 designo leather, it can be priced near the ESV Premium and Platinum, despite being only the 350/450, so the ESV seems much better to me.

With the Navigator L/Expedition EL, I've read some reviews saying that the interior materials seem cheap, and the infotainment system is confusing. I'm also put off by the V6 engine it uses, as I'm quite used to the quick acceleration I get with my XL. How does the CUE compare to the Ford Sync/MyLincoln Touch? Is the third row Expedition EL/Navigator L more comfortable than in the ESV/Denali?

What SUV do you think I should purchase? Thanks for the help!! -Mitchell

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
purchase the vehicle you like not what other's tell you to like. i would get the platinum ESV. it looks beautiful with a price value compared to the competition. Each luxu SUV have it's pro's and cons but nothing beats the escalade SUV's. That way you enjoy your purchase and ownership.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you do decide to get the Escalade, get the 2016. I'm betting GM fixed some of the bugs that have plagued 2015 owners.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
adamjeeps said:
That Ford EcoBoost V6 will run circles around your SLT and keep right up with the Caddy 6.2.
Do you have a link? If none, I doubt it will run circles. It might have a fast 0-30 mph but when it's up to speed the 6.2 will give it a run for its money. Thanks GM for giving the 8 speed a 4.8 first gear ratio for this reason.

·
Registered
2007 CTS, 2007 ESV
263 Posts
Lambkitty

I went round and round with new esky or XL D. I pulled the trigger on a 2015 built 3/22. My dealer claims many of the bugs from first gen have been worked out. I have many cool features including open road package, hud, power boards etc. Mine even came with the 8 speed tranny and foot activated gate 22 inch wheels etc. This truck is a beast. I cannot really find any additional items the caddy has that I would miss. I sold an 07 ESV with 80 k miles. I have my fair share of first gen issues.

Good look at the end of the day it's your choice and what you want and can live with. The Caddy felt over the top for me, my xl out the door was 68k, gm employ pricing Caddy was 10k more.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went through the same process and ended up with the new Navigator L. The Lincoln rides like a dream with the new 3.5 engine, interior space is so much better than the Caddy and it's still a luxury vehicle with good quality. It's also some 20k cheaper than the ESV. Price wasn't a factor in my case since I was decided to buy the Caddy based only on looks and technology. Fortunately I started following this forum and did a couple of test drives before, and simply didn't like the ride quality at all. Coming from other Ford Suv the interior space also seemed ridiculously small for a vehicle that size. But on external looks, technology and status the Caddy is much better. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Suburban LTZ vs Yukon XL Denali = no brainer!
suburban has the regular suspension, denali gets the magnetic ride same as the Escalade.
Burban only has the 5.3L engine, the Denali has the same 6.2 as the Escalade.

price difference between comparable LTZ and Denali is about $3k.

the better question is to compare the XL Denali and a Premium ESV. more like a $10k jump.

even though the ESV and XL both have the Magnetic ride, i'm not sure if they are "tuned" differently.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Coming from 8years of GL ownership ( 3 separate cars )......the Caddy is the equal or better in interior quality and luxury ( i went with the Kona leather option ) and better in tech. The GL has the best 3rd row seats....the 3rd row in the Caddy standard length is awful!! The Caddy has MUCH more general room for people and stuff. My Caddy Premium gets better mileage than any of my 3 GL's did.....24mpg on long runs! Tough choices.....

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,021 Posts
rad-man said:
Suburban LTZ vs Yukon XL Denali = no brainer! suburban has the regular suspension.
LTZ trim gets MRC standard. Same for Tahoe.

·
Registered
NONE
3 Posts
I heard of some vibration problems with the escalade. Did you have these issues?
I ask because i am about to buy a 2016.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
The Platinum ESV is like the top tier of all the Escalade levels and both Suburban and Yukon XL, since the Suburban, Yukon, and the Escalade are made in the same factory and have the same platform. The Yukon Denali is not so different from the Escalade in terms of ride quality and powertrain, same engine. Interior and exterior qualities are different and the Escalade is more modern.

The Platinum Escalade is basically a Premium with more features added like different grille, interior choices, and a cooler.

Since I am a leaser of a GL550, I can say that it's not comparable to the Escalade and other truck-based SUVs you mentioned. It drives like a car and is more of a large crossover. The trunk space is small like the Sequoia, but when the 3rd row folded, it give little more. The Negatives of the GL is the tires because of the suspension design and you will be dishing out $2000 for tires because the tires will wear out on the inside. I am like close to 70-80% on my tires and going to get them changed on my next service. Also, you have to get the pre-paid maintenance plan to save money on service, otherwise you will be dishing $700-$900 in services. Just keep this in mind when you are looking at MB. Its great for a year or two, but not worth it for the long run.

I heard of some vibration problems with the escalade. Did you have these issues?
I ask because i am about to buy a 2016.
They should be better by now, otherwise just wait another year if you like. Some people that purchased their new Escalades got it when it was just released, which is a common mistake by most customers when 1st year new models come out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts