Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

first post, new to the forum.

Picked up a 2005 Escalade. 240,000+ km
all wheel drive
6.0 v8

previous owner had it sitting for a year and I picked it up for a song. I have a daily driver and I picked this up to tinker with while I’m waiting for covid to run its course

Anyways, dropped a new battery in, limped it home. I figured change the oil, flush the coolant, run a couple of tanks of 91 octane through to shake the cobwebs off the motor and fuel system and see where I stand afterwards

Driving home the brakes were solid, and the steering was sketchy. Highway speeds were fine, low speeds I lost all power assist. Parked it for the night and went to bed.

next day I fire it up and the motor runs fine. Drive it around the block a couple of times, and I’m getting noise from the belt, and noise from the brake pedal when it’s pushed down. Rev the engine, and the belt squeals, push down on the pedal and there’s noise. So I figure. Power steering pump.

I get under the hood, find the tensioner is seized. Not surprised. Head to NAPA. Pick up a new tensioner pulley, a new belt, and a power steering pump. Thought about swapping out the water pump as well, but I’m happy with how this motor is running given it’s been sitting for a year so I leave it for now.

here’s the rub: Swapped out the power steering pump. Throw on the new tensioner and belt. Get everything back together. Get fresh fluid in Power steering resevoir. Put front wheels in air, work steering wheel left to right 40 times, topped up fluid as it needed. Got the Escalade back on ground, start it up and it’s running super smooth. No belt noise, no brake noise, all the pulley are turning, but now I got no brakes and no steering.

ive moved it back and forth in the drive way, there is no response from the steering at all. And the brake pedal is firm, but I have no throw all my weight on the pedal for response.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,144 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats to the new to you Eskie!

Google "hydra boost brakes" a little reading will enlighten you on how your power steering ties into your braking system.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2004 ESV
752 Posts
There should be a total of 5 power steering hoses across 4 components...hydroboost, steering box, power steering pump, and power steering cooler. I think it's 3 pressure, and 2 return lines. Two pressure hoses are on top of the hydroboost (hydraulic brake booster behind the brake master). Then a return line. I'd make sure those are connected properly and aren't leaking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts