Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Escalade EXT has been stolen 2x's in 8 months. Both times they were after the aftermarket wheels, grill, brakes, interior, etc. I am in the process of getting my EXT put back together at the dealership and plan to put new 26" wheels on it. My wife thinks I am "crazy" for keeping the Escalade to begin with. She thinks they are way too much of a target. Part of the fun of having the EXT is having it nicely appointed with all the goodies on it. No question it gets some attention. But is it too much of a risk?

My question is whether or not the thugs who are stealing our Escalades are going to the extreme of "carjacking" them or are they not taking the risk? Does anyone have any experience with a carjacking? Is it happening? I live in Southern California. Stealing the Escalade is one thing, but carjacking takes on a whole different risk.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think there is generally a difference between a carjacker and a professional car thief. The carjacker is just taking the car for a joy ride or some other ridiculous reason. A thief is generally looking to cash in on the vehicle parts, and carjacking is presents a much bigger risk.

Certainly, I am leary of carjackings now that I have 24" wheels on, but I try to overlook that fear and just keep on rolling. If something is going to happen, it is going to happen.

·
Registered
Cadillac
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think there is generally a difference between a carjacker and a professional car thief. The carjacker is just taking the car for a joy ride or some other ridiculous reason. A thief is generally looking to cash in on the vehicle parts, and carjacking is presents a much bigger risk.

Certainly, I am leary of carjackings now that I have 24" wheels on, but I try to overlook that fear and just keep on rolling. If something is going to happen, it is going to happen.
I share your perspective. I would love to hear what everyone else has to say? Is this only a southern california concern?

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
I share your perspective. I would love to hear what everyone else has to say? Is this only a southern california concern?
I think it depends on where you are in socal.. I'd be more concerned if I were riding through compton at night versus newport beach on a sunday morning.

Either way, carry protection... If they want your ride, make it a miserable experience for them (at least pepper spray or tazer the poor bastard).

·
Registered
Cadillac
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it depends on where you are in socal.. I'd be more concerned if I were riding through compton at night versus newport beach on a sunday morning.

Either way, carry protection... If they want your ride, make it a miserable experience for them (at least pepper spray or tazer the poor bastard).
My question is do carjackings occur outside of the bad areas and are they happening with Escalades in general? Escalades are the target to be stolen but are they the target by carjackers? My wife fears that I am putting my life at risk by driving an Escalade around that has all the goodies on it that a thug wants but can't afford. (i.e. 26" wheels, billet grill, big brakes, custom exhaust, etc..)

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
A co-workers father-in-law was the victim of an attempted car jacking in San Diego. 70 years old and retired, he was in his new Mercedes when somebody stuck a gun in his face and told him to get out. He got out all right with a knife about a foot long and opened up the gunman from crotch to neck. The guys guts hit the road and the car jacking attempt was terminated forthwith. The owner told the cops that he'd worked all his life for the car and he wasn't going to give it to some thug.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think that most of the thieves that steal these cars are professionals that actually make a living out of doing it and wouldnt risk getting busted for attempted murder as opposed to a slap on the hand for grand theft. When my EXT got jacked 2 months ago there was very minimal damage. It was a clean job the guy knew exactly what he was doing. I was fortunate enough to recover it before it got stripped down. I live in West Covina, and I work in a real bad area of Compton. Im still a little paranoid when I drive to work and you can never be too catious. I always figured that if it ever got stolen it would be by my work, but it was actually stolen at the mall by my house. I always had a friend of my wifes telling me that my car was going to get stolen, and she was right, but 1 month after my car was stolen her husband got car jacked at gunpoint right in front of USC in broad daylight for a 97 Accord so I guess you really never know. I think car jackers that use weapons are mostly petty thieves that are desperate, or losser gang bangers looking for a joy ride to commit a crime. I guess you really never know so just continue to watch you rear views fellas, and be careful out there. We work too hard for these rides for some losser to just come and take it from us that easily.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,741 Posts
My question is do carjackings occur outside of the bad areas and are they happening with Escalades in general? Escalades are the target to be stolen but are they the target by carjackers?
They are not really an issue here in Michigan regardless of the type of vehicle. I have not even heard of one in what seems like years. I think South Eastern Florida and California have cornered the market on car-jacking. I don't even remember it being too big of a deal when I lived in Massachusetts - though that might have changed. If it was an issue here in MI, I suppose I might think twice about what I was driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts