Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am resident in Europe and I bought an Escalade 2020 in the assumption that it could run on E85 / FlexFuel (based on the E85 MAX, ALUM specification of the engine).

Now that I have paid for it, filled it with E85 and drove back with it from France, I read in the manual "Do not use any fuel labeled E85 or FlexFuel. Do not use gasoline with ethanol levels greater than 15% by volume."

On the other hand, when I do a VIN search to obtain the engine information, I see that the engine model is L86 -SIDI: Spark Ignition Direct Injection, VVT: Variable Valve Timing, AFM, E85 MAX, ALUM

According to GM 6.2 Liter V8 EcoTec3 L86 Engine the GM 6.2 Liter V8 EcoTec3 L86 Engine’s recommended fuel is regular unleaded or E85

The car involved is a Cadillac 2020 ESV (produced in Lansing Michigan United States) .

How to empty the fuel tank ?

Will I really damage this car if I drive up the E85 ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am resident in Europe and I bought an Escalade 2020 in the assumption that it could run on E85 / FlexFuel (based on the E85 MAX, ALUM specification of the engine).

Now that I have paid for it, filled it with E85 and drove back with it from France, I read in the manual "Do not use any fuel labeled E85 or FlexFuel. Do not use gasoline with ethanol levels greater than 15% by volume."

On the other hand, when I do a VIN search to obtain the engine information, I see that the engine model is L86 -SIDI: Spark Ignition Direct Injection, VVT: Variable Valve Timing, AFM, E85 MAX, ALUM

According to GM 6.2 Liter V8 EcoTec3 L86 Engine the GM 6.2 Liter V8 EcoTec3 L86 Engine’s recommended fuel is regular unleaded or E85

The car involved is a Cadillac 2020 ESV (produced in Lansing Michigan United States) .

How to empty the fuel tank ?

Will I really damage this car if I drive up the E85 ?
A one time fill up won’t damage your Escalade. Your check engine light will come on because the O2 sensor won’t get enough oxygen. As the tank empties, put in premium fuel. Eventually, the light will turn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015.ESV.Premium
18 Posts
I foolishly thought the same and missed that little sticker on the back of the fuel-flap ... silly mistake cost me close to 500 bucks (local caddy dealer) to drain the tank (not to mention the full tank of E85) ... A dashboard light came on along with the service me now and almost spluttered to a halt at a junction.

These days our ESV gets nothing but the Premium flavor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A one time fill up won’t damage your Escalade. Your check engine light will come on because the O2 sensor won’t get enough oxygen. As the tank empties, put in premium fuel. Eventually, the light will turn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply. I eventually drove 150 KM with a tank containing 5 Liters of Premium and 92 Liters of E85 (which corresponds with 81% ethanol). No light came up ;-) and the car drove perfectly as expected.
I wasn't able to remove to remaining E85 from the tank, so I decided to mix it with Premium. Consequently, at the moment, I am driving 44% ethanol ....
Still no light has come up and the car is doing well ;-)

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,837 Posts
Ethanol is a powerful fuel system cleaner so at least you know the fuel injectors are clean :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts