Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is the AUTO feature for the 2 wheel/4 wheel drive a true “set & forget” like Cadillac says?

I think so. Or it should be. I’m in an argument with service tech who believes that AUTO should not be used on dry roads. He also is attributing the “shutter” to the truck being in AUTO.
Backstory: been dealing with the dreaded shutter off & on for the last year. We had the fluids flushed and replaced.. that seemed to work, but it was temporary

In June, I took the Escalade in for service and reminded them about the shutter. They said they would order a torque converter.

Fast forward to yesterday.. took my car in for an appointment. Immediately, they started saying they had to do a scope test to be sure it’s the torque converter. (Weird, bc they were supposed to order the torque converter over two months ago) Ok, no biggie. Today they called and said everything looks good, and they tried to duplicate the sound. They finally heard the sound after 2-3 people drove my car. One clever tech noticed my analog control for was set to AUTO. That was the problem, because after he switched it to 2high, the problem went away.

I immediately thought this didn’t sound legit and started digging Up info on this little feature. Needless to say, I called the service department to tell them what the Cadillac owners manual states. I also informed him that the guy who delivered my vehicle said he felt/heard the shutter. Guess what? He drove it in 2high! 🙄 The tech dismissed my statement because “he’s just a car wash guy, not a maintenance tech! He wouldn’t know!” The tech dismisses everything I said.

So before I really act a fool, and call him back, I need to know.. what’s the opinion on driving in AUTO ?

I was given Code 19-NA-136.
which really doesn’t address my concern. This shutter happens around 40mph.

Regardless of AUTO or 2 high.
The transmission should not be shuttering. The fact the tech found the event stopped after putting the drive in 2 high from Auto is a moot point.

TL:DR
Pros cons on AUTO 2 wheel/4 wheel drive? Will driving in AUTO cause a shutter that comes & goes?

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
419 Posts
You can use auto 4 any and all time. That said, you will feel some extra vibration if you do, as you are spinning double the parts that you do in 2WH. Plus, the auto works by cycling a clutch many times per second, so when it kicks in on dry roads you will feel the cycling...sometimes on hard accel or occasionally in turns. I only use the 4 auto on wet or otherwise slick roads personally, as 2WD reduces wear and vibrations.

I cannot tell you if you are feeling normal 4auto vibrations or an actual slipping torque converter, though. I’d have to experience it personally to tell you the difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use auto 4 any and all time. That said, you will feel some extra vibration if you do, as you are spinning double the parts that you do in 2WH. Plus, the auto works by cycling a clutch many times per second, so when it kicks in on dry roads you will feel the cycling...sometimes on hard accel or occasionally in turns. I only use the 4 auto on wet or otherwise slick roads personally, as 2WD reduces wear and vibrations.

I cannot tell you if you are feeling normal 4auto vibrations or an actual slipping torque converter, though. I’d have to experience it personally to tell you the difference.
Thank you for your reply! Yeah, not only does it cause more wear & tear, but driving in Auto 4 is worse gas mileage wise.

The plan is to drive only in 2wd to see if the shutter stops. 🤞🏼

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,686 Posts
You absolutely should be driving in 2wd all the time except in slippery road conditions like winter driving, maybe rain, a slippery boat launch, slippery drive in a grass field...stuff like that.
Driving around in Auto4 all summer on dry pavement just burns extra gas and wears out parts.

·
Registered
2016 ESV Platinum
162 Posts
I had the shudder and I always use 2H. They replaced the torque converter and it is gone. But I understand that the current fix is to replace the fluid not the converter. Mine was done before GM updated the TSB.

Edit to add that the shudder started to come back but they did a relearn on the transmission and that took care of it.

·
Registered
2019 - CT6-V - Black Raven; 2018 - Escalade ESV - Black Raven
100 Posts
Yes you can set and forget, however if you look in the manual, when just on the regular road way it is suggested you throw it on 2WD and keep it there for the best gas mileage. That's what I do as I know I wont be going off road.

I haven't had any problems with slightly flooded roads and wet highways personally. However to make up for this, it is suggested that you just switch the drive model to the "snow/ice" model anyway as it wont harm the vehicle.(Since the only thing that it changes is the throttle response mainly, as is supposed to be used on all surfaces that are slippery)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts