Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know, what these messages mean, or how to find out?

IP1552 HISTORY
RS0038 CURRENT
RS0060 CURRENT
PZ1558 HISTORY
IR1740 HISTORY
IR2555 HISTORY

Thanx allllllot!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
gyplj said:
Does anyone know, what these messages mean, or how to find out?

IP1552 HISTORY
RS0038 CURRENT
RS0060 CURRENT
PZ1558 HISTORY
IR1740 HISTORY
IR2555 HISTORY

Thanx allllllot!

First of all, are you aware of what "History" and "Current" means? Just in case you don't, I'll give you a brief run-down, if you do, please excuse this boring part of the post. ;)

The computer modules in your car display DTCs or, (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). These codes correspond to specific systems and circuits controlled by each individual module. The individual module "tags" its DTCs with its own specific prefix (that's the first 2 letters in the code). In this way, you can identify both the DTC and the module it came from. Cool huh, well it goes even further. The "Current" and "History" tags denote whether the module has experienced the problem in the past (History codes), or is currently experiencing the problem (Current codes).
Generally speaking, you should be concerned with Current codes and only watchful of the History codes since History codes can be left over from some tech that didn't erase them after he did some work on the car, or maybe just an intermittent issue that may never happen again.

Ok, hopefully that's enough background on the system. Now for your codes.

HISTORY
IP1552 = Loss of KAM
PZ1558 = PZM EEPROM Check sum error
IR1740 = IRC configuration error
IR2555 = Non listed are you sure it's not IR2255? That's a loss of serial data (in other words it's been disconnected).

CURRENT
RS0038 = ELC exhaust valve short to ground/open circuit
RS0060 = L/F position sensor fault

The main things here to look at are:
1. A bad connection or short circuit in the ELC exhaust valve circuit.
2. A bad connection to, and/or faulty L/F position sensor (for the Road Sensing Suspension).
Hope this helps you out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You, Katshot,

I knew what History and Current meant, but thank you for the thorough explanation. Now, is there a chart of all these DTCs? On caddyinfo.com I only found some 4digit codecharts, you seem to have much better sources of info:)
About the current codes: I know quite a lot about these by now. It seems that I'll have to replace either that sensor or the strut itself. (Dunno yet to change it to passive or not.) And the ELC is something I'm not very concerned about.
But is any of the History codes worrying? (This "disconnected" stuff gives me thoughts...) Or theres's nothing to worry about?

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Katshot said:
First of all, are you aware of what "History" and "Current" means? Just in case you don't, I'll give you a brief run-down, if you do, please excuse this boring part of the post. ;)

The computer modules in your car display DTCs or, (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). These codes correspond to specific systems and circuits controlled by each individual module. The individual module "tags" its DTCs with its own specific prefix (that's the first 2 letters in the code). In this way, you can identify both the DTC and the module it came from. Cool huh, well it goes even further. The "Current" and "History" tags denote whether the module has experienced the problem in the past (History codes), or is currently experiencing the problem (Current codes).
Generally speaking, you should be concerned with Current codes and only watchful of the History codes since History codes can be left over from some tech that didn't erase them after he did some work on the car, or maybe just an intermittent issue that may never happen again.

Ok, hopefully that's enough background on the system. Now for your codes.

HISTORY
IP1552 = Loss of KAM
PZ1558 = PZM EEPROM Check sum error
IR1740 = IRC configuration error
IR2555 = Non listed are you sure it's not IR2255? That's a loss of serial data (in other words it's been disconnected).

CURRENT
RS0038 = ELC exhaust valve short to ground/open circuit
RS0060 = L/F position sensor fault

The main things here to look at are:
1. A bad connection or short circuit in the ELC exhaust valve circuit.
2. A bad connection to, and/or faulty L/F position sensor (for the Road Sensing Suspension).
Hope this helps you out

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Make sure you let EVERYONE know that you (like many others) have NOT been able to find the info you needed at Caddyinfo.com or any other source, but DID find it here at CadillacForums.com.
There have been members here that have routinely sent other members off our board to find technical info and I've never felt good about it.
I know of no place on the web that has ALL the codes. I have a very complete source of Cadillac DTCs etc. and am always happy to supply our members with the info ASAP.
As for the "History" codes, I would suggest that there may have been some work done to your car that involved swapping modules for diagnostic reasons. This will cause the codes in question. Should you be concerned about "History" codes? My suggestion for handling intermittent codes has always been to clear them and pay attention to whether they return or not. If they do, try to get an idea of what was going on in the car when they set. Getting snap-shot data is helpful too but not always meaningful to anyone other than a tech.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I CERTAINLY WILL!!!
Though, why is that there is literally no trace of these 6digit codes on the web at all? Is there a way to "convert" them into OBDII dtcs, or any other source to look them up? Not that I would not appreciate your help - I really do - but I don't want to bug you with every single little code that comes up (hopefully none will in the next future:)

Thnx again, and

THIS SITE IS THE BEST,
DON'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE!

Katshot said:
Make sure you let EVERYONE know that you (like many others) have NOT been able to find the info you needed at Caddyinfo.com or any other source, but DID find it here at CadillacForums.com.
There have been members here that have routinely sent other members off our board to find technical info and I've never felt good about it.
I know of no place on the web that has ALL the codes. I have a very complete source of Cadillac DTCs etc. and am always happy to supply our members with the info ASAP.
As for the "History" codes, I would suggest that there may have been some work done to your car that involved swapping modules for diagnostic reasons. This will cause the codes in question. Should you be concerned about "History" codes? My suggestion for handling intermittent codes has always been to clear them and pay attention to whether they return or not. If they do, try to get an idea of what was going on in the car when they set. Getting snap-shot data is helpful too but not always meaningful to anyone other than a tech.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
gyplj said:
I CERTAINLY WILL!!!
Though, why is that there is literally no trace of these 6digit codes on the web at all? Is there a way to "convert" them into OBDII dtcs, or any other source to look them up? Not that I would not appreciate your help - I really do - but I don't want to bug you with every single little code that comes up (hopefully none will in the next future:)

Thnx again, and

THIS SITE IS THE BEST,
DON'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE!
Your car IS OBDII and many of the DTCs are universal and can be scanned with a "generic" OBDII scan tool. As far as converting codes to another format, forget it, there's way to many different formats. That was the driving force behind the move to OBDII, to standardize the systems. Cadillac just goes a little crazy with their use of modules and their corresponding DTCs.
As for another source for Cadillac codes etc, try:
http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/cadwp.html
Anthony Haukap (I think that's how he spells it) has an awesome site (which I also belong to) filled with a lot of useful info. Check-out the Cadillac Wallpapers that you can download onto your PC (you MAY even see a beautiful '95 FTS in there).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts