Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 92 deville 4.9l with 98k .
i am getting (E91 - PRNDL Switch Problem) code and have been getting it for months now even after codes are cleared it comes right back . i dont notice any problems with the car and was wondering if this is somthing i should replace any way (like if it could cause any serious future problems or be hurting somthing now) ?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The codes keep coming back each time the problem occurs, so there's still something wrong. My manual is for an '87, so it doesn't have the same code numbers, but most likely you're getting a warning that the neutral safety switch is malfunctioning. Try starting the car in drive with your foot on the brake.

·
Registered
305 Posts
noahsdad said:
The codes keep coming back each time the problem occurs, so there's still something wrong. My manual is for an '87, so it doesn't have the same code numbers, but most likely you're getting a warning that the neutral safety switch is malfunctioning. Try starting the car in drive with your foot on the brake.
In the future you may have problem starting the car in Park. If it happens try to start the car in N or D. The switch is on the top of tranny (right below the master cylinder reservouire). It may need adjustment (loosening the bolts and inserting a small diameter drill bit) or replacement. In any case it is an easy and inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just remembered somthing , about 2yrs ago i was at work and i could not shift the car out of park . there was somthing wrong with the selinoid that releases the shift lever when you step on the brake . so i just diconected it because im not dumb enough to take the car out of park without steping on the brake and im the only 1 that drives the car and dont have any kids (that could reach over and do it from the passanger seat) .
could this have anything to do with that code ?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The codes tend be be general, that is, they cover a system or circuit in it's entirety, rather than individual components. I'm not sure how your Cad is wired, but I'd suspect that solenoid is part of the same circuit. Clear the code, reconnect the solenoid, and do the diagnostic again. If no codes, you've found your problem.

Do yourself a favor and see if eBay has a service manual for your Cad. Mine has already saved me many times it's $29 price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
E91 is quite common on theses vehicles as they age - you've got rotating contacts that see friction (read:wear) every time you move the shifter lever. It's usually just a function of time and how much use the car has had. Replacing the PRNDL switch will likely cure your problem - they are not really a servicable item. you may have luck with a used one, although I've found that sooner or later the error code re-appears. Heres my credentials list:

The shift interlock is not considered part of the system, it is a pretty simple electrical cicuit that is simply fuse protected. Disabling it (safety issues!) is not going to register an error code as that particular system is not computer controled, nor does it feed any data back to the computer.

Serious problems - as mentioned might be able to start the car in gear or starter may fail to engage - Also, cruise control is disabled whilst this code is active.

Heres my credentials list:

1980 Fleetwood
1985 Fleetwood
1985 SDV
1986 SDV (x 3)
1989 SDV
1989 Fleetwood (FWD x 2)
1991 Fleetwood (FWD) (current)
1991 SDV (current)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies