Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Service Engine Soon" Light came on in my '91 DeVille this week. I pulled the codes and got E41 - Camshaft Position Sensor signal error. I just replaced this part two weeks ago, but I pulled it out (not fun) and tested it according to my shop manual. When I put a voltmeter on it, the reading was within 0.5 volts of the battery voltage. So the sensor itself tests out OK.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? The car is running OK, but am I doing any harm to the engine driving it with this error?

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, after exchanging PMs with Blaze and Illumina (thanks, guys) I think there is a short somewhere in the wiring to the cam sensor (hall effect switch) or the ignition control module since the plastic housings around the connectors on both are either brittle or gone completely.

Illumina mentioned the distributor terminal block, and I've looked for one on some online auto parts stores, but am having no luck. Does it have another name?

I did find this picture on the GM Parts Direct site:

Can anybody tell me which of these parts I may need to replace? Will I have to pull the distributor (I'd rather avoid that if possible).

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
I had a problem with an internal intermittent break in one of the mini-harnesses labelled #14. Both were cooked so both got replaced. You may check both for continuity while you flex them.
FWIW
YMMV

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know what part #14 is called? Did you have to pull the distributor to replace it?

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NickySantoro said:
You can do it in the car with some contortions. Both are called "terminal".
ACD# 10468045
ACD# 10468043
Go to www.acdelco.com and plug in those numbers to see an image of each part.
Thanks, Nicky! I'm looking for the parts now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts