Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
That's just...

No, there's no words for that abomination.

The Shriner badge on the tail-light is the finishing touch.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
When I was in Kansas earlier this month, I saw a carriage top on a late '90s Camry. No shit.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
There is someone that works at the McDonalds by my work that has a carriage top on a late 80's Corolla. I will take a picture of it sometime.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
While I have nothing against Shriners, I do find carriage tops, or any number of pseudo-convertible treatments of hard top cars to be an unnecessary and unsuccessful attempt to improve contemporary auto design. I first saw these so called "luxury" treatments, when I had an office in Beverly Hills, applied to mostly American luxury cars of the early eighties. They struck me at the time as too much money chasing bad taste ......an all to common Beverly Hills phenomenon. We had just come down from Detroit's padded vinyl roof affliction when this and the burgeoning "Rolls" grill appendage and the new trend toward "stretch" limos (O'Gara Coachworks had a showroom at Wilshire Blvd and Rodeo Dr. before it was demolished to make way for the new pedestrian mall) was just making itself felt. Unfortunately the desire to"guilt the lily" is not unique to the inhabitants of Beverly Hills and we've seen these auto embellishments become common in the most backwater of American towns and the term "Pimped" take on a hole new meaning.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
There is someone that works at the McDonalds by my work that has a carriage top on a late 80's Corolla. I will take a picture of it sometime.

Hmmm.... Any relation there?? :hmm: :hmm:

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I believe the automotive industry term for this disaster is "Sim-Con Top". As in... Simulated Convertible.

As long as you're faking it, why not add the stick-on Sunroof?

(No, that is NOT Billy Mays)

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I believe the automotive industry term for this disaster is "Sim-Con Top". As in... Simulated Convertible.

As long as you're faking it, why not add the stick-on Sunroof?

(No, that is NOT Billy Mays)
Its' actually Fidel Castro's grandson turned Capitalist demonstrating his new company's product and service. Viva la revolucion!

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
Ehh heh.... guilty as charged...:hide:

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
The worst offenders are a Cadillac CTS with a fake top. I've seen both the old and new bodystyles with these abominations, complete with the tacky gold ornaments and trim.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Ehh heh.... guilty as charged...:hide:
That is fine, its a large, stately luxury sedan with solid body lines, so it looks like it belongs. Take my Brougham for example, it would look weird without the top on it. My Fleetwood looks good with the half top it has. The C body DeVilles also look great with the tops if the color combo is right, like white with a blue top. The K body DeVilles, however, are too roundy and look much less attractive with the tops on them. I actually prefer the tops.

The good.

The bad.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
Haha agreed. Those last 2 are aweful! What I dont like about mine is that the carriage top ends in the MIDDLE of the roof! Stately luxury wasnt exactly the trim level I was going for with that car... My uncle removed the cloth top from his Pontiac Parisienne and after the neccesary body work it looked sweet.

·
Registered
1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours
1,227 Posts
There can be only one:

Too bad I missed the one on eBay a few months back with both carriage top AND continental kit[!].

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
The carriage top treatment works on very few cars. This is not one of them.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
Yeah, the one on my dad's car suckzors. Personally I hate them on any car, but the stupid roof was the only reason that car only cost 900 bucks. At least the sunroof is real. :lol:

Now compare that to one that doesn't have a crappy carriage roof like mine:

I think the bare roof makes the car look much more stately and professional, awhile the carriage roof just looks like a lame attempt at the same.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
The carriage roofs look horrible on the newer Cadillacs that have the doors that wrap into the roof of the car. It was kind of convincing on the older cars like the Brougham that were really square with doors that tucked under the roof.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
The C body DeVilles are very tricky when it comes to the carriage tops. Some color/wheel combos, like your gray one, look 10x better without the top. However, there are others, like the aforementioned white with blue top and spoked hubcaps, that look far better with the top. Other ones that has always been to my liking is the slate green with a neutral colored top or royal blue with a white top. White with a black top is also suitable.

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,705 Posts
<------------ Minority, apparently. I like 'em. It was one of the reasons I bought my '94 STS, white with tan top. Looked freaking great then and I still like the look now...

But then again, I like old Dodge's, Kaisers, Studes and Checkers.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts