Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine doesn't crank at. No starter click or sound. Only sound I hear is the fuel pump humming for a few seconds when the key is on the on position. So far I know of is:
*Haven't start the car for couple of month. Started when last started
*New battery were install
*Fuse is all working
*When using OBD on the instrument cluster nothing come on. Just blank,
even the climate control became blank after the OBD test until exit
*Fuel read "E" when I know I had a full tank. Does engine still crank with fuel
reading "E"

Could this be an ignition problem?
Thanks,:worship:
BILL SONG

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,575 Posts
The engine will crank as long as it has power to the starter. Fuel is only important if you want it to start. If it hasn't been run in a couple of months, check the battery and be sure it has a charge.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,110 Posts
Battery is dead. These cars will kill even a fully charged brand new battery if not run for 2 weeks or so.

Google "smart battery charger" or "guest battery maintainer" and see if a plug-it-and-forget-it battery maintainer is in your future.......

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not even a single click

I checked the battery and very sure it has a full charge. First I thought it was, but after "jumping" the battery, there is not a single click at all. Even a half dead battery would make a click.
Also when I preform the self diagnostic nothing showed up? I'm thinking more of ignition switch? I was planning to ship this car to Texas.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,110 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm......Ignition switch or something has gone wrong with the theft system.

Battery cables all clean and tight ?? Both ends.......

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
You tried to jumpstart the car and still had the same problem?... Did you leave the other car connected for 5 to 10 minutes just running to recharge your battery? If you didn't it could still be a bad battery. Otherwise I would lean more towards the starter.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You tried to jumpstart the car and still had the same problem?... Did you leave the other car connected for 5 to 10 minutes just running to recharge your battery? If you didn't it could still be a bad battery. Otherwise I would lean more towards the starter.
Yes sir. I tried jump starting the battery, no click or clack. I tried all the basic thing that I know of before coming here for help.
Thanks,
BILLSONG

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried with the spare key and nothing. I think its my ignition switch or could it be my PCM. Does anyone know how to hot wire start it with the key in?:hmm:

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Normally, I would tell you to whack it with a hammer, but that's not possible on a northstar engine. There's no real way to test the starter with it in the car. The starter is located underneath the intake manifold in the valley of the engine. It's kind of a pain in the butt to remove the intake manifold the first time you do it.

Tools needed to remove the intake manifold:
Pliers
flat head screwdriver
fuel line disconnect tools
10mm wrench/socket and ratchet
Male torx socket for the throttle cable bracket

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Normally, I would tell you to whack it with a hammer, but that's not possible on a northstar engine. There's no real way to test the starter with it in the car. The starter is located underneath the intake manifold in the valley of the engine. It's kind of a pain in the butt to remove the intake manifold the first time you do it.

Tools needed to remove the intake manifold:
Pliers
flat head screwdriver
fuel line disconnect tools
10mm wrench/socket and ratchet
Male torx socket for the throttle cable bracket
It was easy removing the intake manifold. Did it once before. Could I still jump the starter while it is in the car? With the ignition off of course.
Thanks,
BILLSONG

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
It was easy removing the intake manifold. Did it once before. Could I still jump the starter while it is in the car? With the ignition off of course.
Thanks,
BILLSONG
Actually now that I think about it, you may be able to with just a simple test lead. If you look behind the power steering pump there should be 1 wire coming out from underneath the intake manifold. That goes to the ignition switch and to the starter solenoid. Just unplug it and take a wire from the positive battery terminal to the terminal in the plug (starter side) and the engine should turn over if the starter is working.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually now that I think about it, you may be able to with just a simple test lead. If you look behind the power steering pump there should be 1 wire coming out from underneath the intake manifold. That goes to the ignition switch and to the starter solenoid. Just unplug it and take a wire from the positive battery terminal to the terminal in the plug (starter side) and the engine should turn over if the starter is working.
OK, I'm not quite sure which wire is it:
This one run under the intake manifold and connect to the positive terminal

This one here run behind the power steering pump but it is connect to another harness:

Thank you for bearing with me,
BILLSONG

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The first picture is of the main power to the starter motor, it goes straight to the battery + terminal. The second picture is the one I was talking about, it goes to the ignition switch and then to battery +. You want to unplug it from the main wiring harness and then use a test lead to wire the starter solenoid directly to the battery positive terminal. By doing this you are bypassing the ignition switch, so it should turn over as soon as you connect the wire. That is, if the starter is working.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news. It crank. Bad news ignition switch must be defect. And worse? After bypasing for 3 to 5 seconds the starter start to grind.:banghead: darnit, crap, [email protected]#$$, Ouch
One lead to another.
thanks for the tip. Now I nailed one problem and got another:bomb:. I don't think I remember seeing the engine turn. Could be because it have not been running for a while. Anyway I can turn the engine?
BILLSONG
I will stay tune for new answer/tip

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
...Bad news ignition switch must be defect...
Before condemning the ignition switch try putting the shifter into neutral, then use the key to try starting it. Then if it doesn't start, it's probably a bad ignition switch.

The grinding was the battery loosing power, so the teeth weren't fully engaging the flywheel.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Battery have full power. I'm sure its the starter grinding. While I was cranking the engine, it turn very little, maybe a quarter turn. So while bypassing the ignition switch with one hand, my other hand is spinning the power steering pump wheel. So the engine turn a little more but not a full revolution.
I think the engine is froze due to the fact that it has not been started in a while. So is there anyway to turn the engine manually to break it free and loosen it a bit? Turning the crankshaft with a wrench?
Thanks,
BILLSONG

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
You really need to take the battery out and have it tested. I've seen a lot of batteries that were putting out a full 12 volts but they were not putting out enough amperage to really do much.

You should be able to spin the engine with a breaker bar on the 19mm bolt of the crankshaft pulley. I doubt that the engine froze. I've seen cars sit outside in the rain for years, and then start right up after some new gas and a jump start.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts