Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1981 Seville with 4-6-8 engine. It only runs on 8 cylinders and run good, but I'm thinking of someday swapping it for something else.
What would I need other than the engine and computer? And what would be a good engine swap?

Roadster

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
If an 8/6/4 is there... a 500/472 would be almost a direct bolt in. Keep in mind with any engine swap it'll be nearly impossible to get the stock gauges and computer to play nice with it. I'd go for a carbureted 500. Maybe a 425 if you don't want to break your transmission (the tranny in these is that weak 4 speed rather than the TH425, right?)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Roadster said:
Thanks, not sure what the tranny is in my Seville.
Then you shouldn't even begin considering an engine swap. Seriously, save your time. It would require a LOT more knowledge of the car and mechanical bits than you've shown so far...

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
If it runs so well, then keep it running. I've heard that 8-4-6 was a good engine. Only the funky valve train controls were troublesome. If you have the 8-4-6 stuff disabled, the engine will probably last a long time.

Peteski

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 4-6-8 engine runs great. It has 102,345 miles on it. My reason for asking engine was to know what is the best fit. I have no intent to do it, why mess with a good thing.
The engine run only on 8 cylinders, the first owner had it disabled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts