Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone know anything about the motor mounts/bolt patterns in 1992 devilles? How big can I get in engine size w/o cutting fender walls. It's a transversally mounted V8 with very little room buuut auxillary systems can be reorganized. Should I think about a RWD system instead to free more room up in the front end? Let's pretend money is not an issue for today (pretend). Thanks!

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
The first thing you would need to do for a RWD drivetrain is cut the floorboard and weld in a tunnel for the transmission. The little hump that is already there is for the exhaust--it might be usable for a driveshaft but you would still need a big hump up in the front for the transmission. Once that was done you would have a pretty big engine bay and could probably fit almost any v8 you wanted. You'd also need to fabricate steering components and knuckles, since the current setup is rear-mounted rack and pinion that would have to be moved up front or replaced with a traditional steering box. For starters...

As far as sticking with FWD, you could probably fit a Buick 3800 supercharger in there pretty simply, since some of the Buicks shared the same chassis. Just a question of stripping out the electronics and replacing them with the Buick equivalents really

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, I was thinking if I did do a new motor I'd go carborated to simplify the electronic end of things... would a 383 stroker drop in okay? I don't know the dimensions of those at all.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,723 Posts
There is/was a 572 crate engined RWD Deville in here several times and it was also for sale on craigslist at least 3 times - starting price was $70,000.

The bodywork alone is daunting, and essentially none of the electronics worked. From the videotapes, still in CF if you can find them, the thing was fast, noisy, and impossible to drive as anything close to a daily driver.

You'd be better off running a later Northstar FWD drivetrain under the car, but the electrics and electronics conversion would be a bear.

Nothing will "drop in" in place of the 4.9.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,686 Posts
Anything is possible with enough imagination, time and money.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By "drop in" I was more considering not having to cut the crap out of the body to make it fit, I know there will be several mods to the mounts, probably the firewall etc that are required, it's a 92 so it is pre northstar era making it a little lighter in the electronics end of things. (by little I mean little). and again I did say carborated to lighten the electronic load. Custom drivetrains get made all the time, I will talk to a few of the resident mechanics in my town and see what they think.

and by the way that engine is RIDICULOUSLY large for that compartment lol.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That last one is pretty nice lookin clean, but not my style of motor, I'm a carborator man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts