Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read on other threads regarding engine noise in the 6.2L V8, but what I've experienced doesn't seem to match the descriptions of others.

I have a 2009 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L V8 with the luxury trim option. The engine has a ticking noise in it. The noise is much more apparent when the engine is cold. When it warms up, the noise is less apparent. The noise is only heard when accelerating, not when idling and doesn't seem to to be apparent under 1,500 RPM.

After the engine runs for a while, the noise isn't nearly as loud. On the highway after the engine has ran for a while, it's not nearly as loud. The noise is a ticking noise, not a knocking noise. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
171 Posts
May be it's fuel injector?

I would try to put Mobil 1 Syn, sometimes other oils will make engine run louder. I had experienced with BMW oil and Castrol for my 550, until replaced with Mobil 1 Syn.

·
Registered
A red 2007 escalade base and a orange 2004 lamborghini galla
167 Posts
I've seen a Video on this is it like a light metal ticking sound???

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
Does it sound like a sewing machine until it warms up?
Probably your lifters.
You can buy a $20 pushrod length checker and check to see that your pushrods are the correct length. Even a fraction of an inch of wear could cause problems with noise.

I'm thinking lifters based on what you said about it going away when warm. Cold oil is thicker and will take longer to work into tight lifters. Hot oil is thinner and will get into smaller areas better. LSx's are known for this though. The answer is upgrading your lifters to the LS7 or aftermarket linkbar style.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Does it sound like a sewing machine until it warms up?
Probably your lifters.
You can buy a $20 pushrod length checker and check to see that your pushrods are the correct length. Even a fraction of an inch of wear could cause problems with noise.

I'm thinking lifters based on what you said about it going away when warm. Cold oil is thicker and will take longer to work into tight lifters. Hot oil is thinner and will get into smaller areas better. LSx's are known for this though. The answer is upgrading your lifters to the LS7 or aftermarket linkbar style.
Piston slap is not related to noisy lifters, right? Mine has piston slap, but it goes away after 5 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
You may want to try a different oil, I use Amsoil and have no engine noises, it is common if your hood is up to hear the fuel injectors clicking away

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Piston slap is not related to noisy lifters, right? Mine has piston slap, but it goes away after 5 minutes of driving.
No, two different sounds. Fuel injectors sound different too, and don't go away after a few minutes of running.

If you want to know more, just google search "ls engine lifters collapsed"

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to offer some clarification. As I had previously said, the engine "ticking" sound is more apparent when the engine is cold and less apparent when it has warmed up. The only time the engine "ticks" is during acceleration and doesn't seem to do it while accelerating until it reaches about 1,500 RPM. Even if I'm going 60 MPH and need to accelerate, I can still faintly hear it during acceleration and as soon as I left off of the gas petal, it stops. It is very loud when cold and sounds like I'm driving a diesel. I was under the assumption it was something internal so I had a 5W20 full synthetic oil put in when I heard it; it didn't change it.

This morning, as I was thinking about it, I pulled out my phone and recorded the sound. The Escalade was already warmed up at that time for the most part, but if you listen closely you'll be able to hear it. If I would've taken the sound clip when it was cold, it would be much louder than what you'll hear. It just has me confused because its louder when cold and softer when warm, but only happens during acceleration and not when coasting or when in park.

s4sh - Engine Tick 03-12-15

Thank you guys for all of your help!

·
Registered
DHS, 2007 ESV
241 Posts
That sounds like cold start knock. Just after a cold start, gently rev it between 1000-2000RPM in Park and see if it makes the noise. If so, cold start knock. It sounds like the combustion noise a modern Diesel engine makes.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade EXT
30 Posts
As a former (old school) auto mechanic, the octane level in your fuel maybe the problem. Everyone here has mentioned the crankcase oil, however, engine knock (and other engine noise) could be directly related to your fuel source. Try a full tank of name brand high octane gas.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds like cold start knock. Just after a cold start, gently rev it between 1000-2000RPM in Park and see if it makes the noise. If so, cold start knock. It sounds like the combustion noise a modern Diesel engine makes.
It makes the noise when cold as well as when the engine has warmed up. Anytime I accelerate, it makes the noise UNLESS I stay under 1,300 RPM. I can drive for 2 hours and then accelerate and still hear it.

----------

As a former (old school) auto mechanic, the octane level in your fuel maybe the problem. Everyone here has mentioned the crankcase oil, however, engine knock (and other engine noise) could be directly related to your fuel source. Try a full tank of name brand high octane gas.
Thank you for your recommendation. I typically use 93 Octane fuel from BP and have tried a higher octane fuel with no ethanol. I've also tried 93 octane fuel from other stations with the same results. Someone had mentioned it could be the fuel injectors. I've added gas treatment to help clean the fuel system on a few separate occasions but it hasn't seemed to help.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
It could be many things. I'm almost starting to believe it could be something rattling, harmonics that you're hearing at lower rpm. Who knows? Check the manifold heat shields.

·
Registered
Escalade 2008
23 Posts
HI,
it's the chain(timing chain), i have the shame noise but it goes away in one minute of driving. noise can be heard only when the engine is cold and when u are inside of the truck and driving it up to 1500revs. you cant do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Why can't you do anything about it? They sell new timing kits. Can even upgrade to a double roller while your in there.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just listened to this video of an Escalade that has piston slap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCBqytnwUx0
Mine doesn't sound like that. This sound is more shrill, I guess you'd say and only during acceleration.

On this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6afkMb6KGWI) at 6:28, it sounds similarly to what I'm hearing. This vehicle is idling and making the sound, I ONLY hear the sound WHEN accelerating past 1,300 RPM.

I think piston slap is out. I think cold start is out since it happens when warm too (when accelerating). I think it's narrowing down to lifters, fuel injectors or exhaust leak. With the exhaust leak, would it make the noise at all times or would it make sense that it only makes it under acceleration?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Exhaust leak would get louder the higher the RPM.
I'm betting lifters. The LS family is known for lousy lifters. Many folks upgrade to LS7 or link bar lifters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts