Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too have been experiencing the high oil temp alarms and have attempted to repair the grounds. Some improvement but the oil temps still run high. I'm still working on some of the grounds but I had this thought... What if the oil really is overheating? What else can I do? And sometimes the coolant temp runs a little high (has been as high as 240). I've been trying to find some spec info on the temps but I have come up empty handed. Maybe someone knows and can help me out...

Specifically I am looking at two alternate fixes:

1. As I said the coolant temp does run a little high so I am planning on a flush and fill as I am guessing this was never done (can't find any service records). But I'd also like to change the thermostat for good measure. But I can't find any temperature spec on the stock thermostat. I do find, no matter who the supplier is, the only thermostats available for the LS6 are 160 and 180. If this is the case why would the coolant temps be much higher than that? All winter the coolant was at a steady 192 and with the warmer weather it can sustain 194-201 but on hotter days it can go higher. If I use a low temp thermostat how will this engine perform?

2. If the oil is really overheating I was considering an oil cooler. What am I getting into with that?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The Service Manual specification calls for the thermostat to begin opening between 188F and 194F, and to be fully open between 206F and 225F. The temperature warning indicators trigger if the coolant reaches 245F-253F.

I don't think we have had a single report where the high oil temperature issue during street driving (as opposed to track) turned out to be anything other than a gauge-related issue. The dead give away is that the indicated oil temperature moves too quickly (e.g. true oil temp cannot be 230F one minute and 290F the next), and difference between the indicated water temperature and the indicated oil temperature is to large to be true.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you again darkman. I did get a coolant temp alarm once as the gauge read about 250. Other than that it has been as high as 231 on some of the hotter days. Otherwise the 194-201 has been pretty standard. Now that I see the specs I understand it better. And the gauge displays do swing erratically (oil temp) so I don't trust the readings. The oil temp has been as much as 50 degrees and even up 100 degrees higher than the coolant temp. Maybe I can avoid installing an oil cooler. I just need to be able to trust the gauge.

·
Registered
17 xt5 & Blk 05 cts-v
2,470 Posts
Did you run a new ground wire from the sensor itself and that still didn't fix the issue?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't get as far as the sensor. I'm considering replacing the sensor and running a new ground but I want to check the main body and chassis grounds first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts