Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Cts
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting outside of a parking lot in my car idling waiting for a friend to come out and all of a sudden DIC goes : engine temp too hot, idle engine. I turned off the car and stepped out to see the level of my coolant , no problem , no leaks.. I got an 03 cts with 203,000 kms. Keep in mind I just serviced my throttle body and cleaned all the gunk and carbon. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
knowing the temp was that outside, i would have to say that might have a lot to do with it running hot...i am assuming that maybe your car was/had been running for awhile and your tstat was stuck in the open position the whole time...by any chance, was your check engine light on and throwing you the tstat code?

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Cts
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea my check engine was light on or shall i say it has been on for almost a year or so throwing the same code
p0128.

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
Did you notice if the cooling fans were running while the engine was on? There may be a bad switch or a blown fuse for the cooling fan.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Cts
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, i havent done the thermostat yet but I did changed the radiator (aftermarket) at 200,000 kms I aslo have installed a transmission coolller if that helps. Could it have to do with an aftermarket radiator?

PS: I put fresh dexcool coolant which looked orange when i put it in but now it looks like white/cream colour. Maybe the head gasket is blown up ?

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Cts
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, Once the msg came on DIC for engine "temp too hot" I stepped out of the car and heard the fans working while I was inspecting for any leaks around the car.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed
189 Posts
White Creamy Coolant is likely bad news :(. Could be head gasket.

Check your oil right away as it may be being pushed into the coolant if it is a head gasket issue.

no, i havent done the thermostat yet but I did changed the radiator (aftermarket) at 200,000 kms I aslo have installed a transmission coolller if that helps. Could it have to do with an aftermarket radiator?

PS: I put fresh dexcool coolant which looked orange when i put it in but now it looks like white/cream colour. Maybe the head gasket is blown up ?

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
Does sound like a head gasket.... the oil sometimes might not show it, but it sounds like the gasket is leaking from the head into the cooling system, could be from the exhaust and thats why it's not causing the oil to froth.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
unless you can do a tear down down and rebuild have it done.......... I had a 90 T-Bird., two different engines had to have A head gasket job done at 90,000 miles. One time water leaked into the oil and the other oil/exhaust leaked into the radiator, had one done at a plain Joe blow auto shop ran $1200 (had some other stuff also) had one done at a dealer $900 faster and less problems. Not sure what pricing now is 2009, but I would learn towards a dealer even if it cost a little more. They would have all the heads up knowledge and equipment and better warrenty.... I haven't been screwed by the dealer yet........ ( knock on wood)....

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Cts
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to my independent mechanic last night and got him to check out the car.. It seems like the left side of valve gasket is leaking which causing a really small amount of oil leak under the car. He also changed the coolant (dexcool) while he was in there. He said while he is going to change the gasket he will also change the tstat. My question is the code that If I am getting p0128 does it have to do with the sensor or the tstat itself?

ps: I will try to see If I can take some pictures while he is doing the tstat maybe It will be helpful for other members.

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
It could be either, but a cadi mechanic told me that most of the time it's the t-stat. When I put mine in I also purchased the sensor but I never installed it becasue I wanted to eliminate one part at a time. The sensor is not as hard to install, it;s in the rear under the intake, so i figure if the code comed back, I can change that easier.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Cts
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just tightened all the nuts on the valve cover and they ALL were LOSE!! no wonder the oil was leaking out. Cleaned up all the gunk around it. I will see within 2 weeks if the oil is still leaking from the covers or not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts