Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
cts
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to show off what I've done so far on my CTS SBC transplant. Here are some pics. I've got little more than wiring to do now, maybe someone can give me some insight on getting some of the gauges to work? I would appreciate the help. Please comment I personally think it looks right at home in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,818 Posts
johnp123 said:
I can't seem to upload any more pics? Am I doing it wrong
Open a photobucket account and post the links here. It's simpler and better for us to view. As they can be full resolution.

KOT

·
Registered
2005 STS-4, 2003 CTS 3.2
194 Posts
That is bad ass

The CTS would have been way better off with that combo to start with than the over-engineered junk they stuffed in there

·
Registered
1999 SLS
41 Posts
Did the chevy bolt straight to old mounts or did you need to make an adaptor?...What trans are u using..also is that the original radiator..if so does it have the trans cooler built into it ..im thinking of doing this type of transplant..im thinking of using a separate trans cooler..mainly because ive heard some radiators stuff out and leak engine coolant into the trans cooler..stuffing the trans..What youve done looks pretty good

·
Registered
cts
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I added some more pics of motor mounts I built. The drivers side I couldn't use rubber mount because of header clearance but did on pass side. I substituted steel pipe on driver side. The trans is a 700r4, I've already built the shaft and it will go in today. It is stock rad and fans in stock location but had to trim fan supports a little to clear waterpump hub. I also read lots of bad things about trans cooler and will get a bigger one to put up front but will run the one in rad just to try this thing out. I think it will be running and driving today. I will build my own harness for the chevy engine but that is strait forward. I put the header, starter wiring, carb, tv cable and throttle on this morning so its getting pretty close to make some noise. There will still be lots to do afterward like make hat for carb and breather tube to stock airbox.

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/johnpaterson1/library/

·
Registered
2005 STS-4, 2003 CTS 3.2
194 Posts
You are so the man

Seriously a carburated v8 will run circles around any of these crap shoot v6'ers

What are you thinking on the gauge cluster? That's the only thing I can't just think off right off the top of my head. Also the shifter assembly might take a big of finesse to get setup.

Forget a low pro hat type intake - get a cowl hood;)

·
Registered
cts
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not too worried about gauges other than fuel, I'll use gps for speed. I too was thinking shifter may be problematic but will try it out, if I dont like it then will install cable shift. Not sure about hood but will need to pull cold air so stock airbox might be best, will look more stock that way too. It should go pretty good, I built this engine a couple of years ago and has about 300hp and 350tq very low miles and sounds good and no smoke. I did try to use the temp sensor but it wouldn't read so I ditched the entire engine harness, I may pick it back up when I try to hook the ac up.

·
Registered
2005 STS-4, 2003 CTS 3.2
194 Posts
It'd be way cool to be able to keep the whole dash & center console intact. But, I just don't think its possible. Even the shifter will be tough

But, yeah a full on stocker look would be way clean. Decent horse engine for the car too - it will be tourqey for sure. But, something a little more wild would be cool - just to out do the V.

·
Registered
cts
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might be tough to out do the V, but would be easy enough to make more power. I think it will surprise a few people when I roll through the intersection let it shift to second then floor it and smoke the tires. center console is unmolested and will stay that way, I will add some switches to ashtray. I want to be able to look in car and not know its so different. Hopefully I will put up some utube video of it tommorrow running. So far I have about $3k canadian into this build.

·
Registered
cts
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: CTS Engine Swap UP AND RUNNING

Well its running now just need to tidy up a few things and seem to have a power steering leak to fix. Glad to see its not flopping around in there, but will have to see when shes under a good load. I will make another video when the weather is better of the car cruising if everything works properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-i55kuwsA4&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
Unique effort John very nice to see something different.

But I'm guessing for the power you'll be sacrificing basically most the electronic capabilities in the car i.e. ABS, Traction Control, can you get AC working at least?
So basically how's the body control module (BCM) taking the swap? Any issues with the security system? Other systems? Airbag Safety System? Is it all basically in a disabled state now?
I'm most curious about the electronics in the car I can perfectly understand if that's something you're not interested in getting to work since you're doing an old fashioned style mod, but any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
cts
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I bought the car I think there were previous issues, like getting the key out and what not. So far security system works I set it off opening the door with key out unlocking it through the window, don't see any issues with abs or airbags but I'll look closer next time but dont recall seeing any lights other than the engine light. Everything still works that did with the blown engine. the ecm relay was buzzing so I removed it. Actually the fuel gauge stopped working but I had the pump assembly out so not sure if that did it also not much fuel in it. I would like to use the cts engine harness for temp gauge and AC but I wont hold my breath.
How does the traction control work? does it stop you from spinning by removing power?

·
Registered
969 Posts
That most probably means the ECM originally for the V6 that came with it was dead (most probably due to solder cracks which they are known here to have suffered from in the past)
Well in a nutshell with everything as is and no piggy back computers being used or adapters or what have you, I would say you can probably get some temp readings, fuel level, perhaps some basic luxuries in the car working
such as heat, heated seats, no alarm (ECM dependent) .... as for the rest, can't tell of the back of my hand what will not work for sure without an ECM (or a pseudo ECM) being present.

The best way to make sure the other systems aren't throwing flags is to hook up a code scanner. Find out exactly what diagnostic trouble codes are set.
You will not get much powertrain info as basically that comes from the Engine and Transmission computers which I'm sure are not there anymore.

If you do find any (and you will, most probably BCM related) then please post a list for us to read, they are pretty self descriptive (especially if your scanner can identify the names besides the numbers)

Then from there we'll be able to tell for sure what will and what will not work in the car as it is with no ECM and that gurggly SBC in there.

·
Registered
cts
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hook up my scanner tomorrow, it will read codes and abs but not srs so we'll see. Where is the bcm located? When I turn on key though all lights come on but all go back out except engine light. I would appreciate any help I can get to make things work as best as I can. Does the temp gauge read key on engine off? because thats basically where I'm at.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I hook up my scanner tomorrow, it will read codes and abs but not srs so we'll see. Where is the bcm located? When I turn on key though all lights come on but all go back out except engine light. I would appreciate any help I can get to make things work as best as I can. Does the temp gauge read key on engine off? because thats basically where I'm at.
Yes the temp gauge will read with ignition on engine off. When all the lights come on on the cluster then go off you should have temp and fuel level reading (when you're fuel system is not disconnected obviously), in addition to being able to use all the accessories in the car, such climate control, heated seats, AC, blower, sunroof, radio...etc all the obvious things that work on battery while engine is off.

·
Registered
cts
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since the weather is so poor here right now I may spend some time on the engine harness, the temp would be nice, and fuel is a must. Would removing fuel pump cause sending unit not to work? Because I pulled pump from tank and put a t to hook drivers side tube so it pulls from both sides of tank and am using low pressure electric fuel pump. I'm not sure if this will work well or not. I guess I skipped the day we learned about fluid dynamics at school and my worry is having gauge in one side of tank and not pulling fuel even from both sides however I went with the hole in floor trick to pull pump so an adjustment should be easy enough. Where is bcm? What signals tach and speedo? Also is there any signal for crank position at key that doesn't come from ecm, not a big fan of using a push button to start but will if I have to.

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
377 Posts
Bcm is above the kick panel under the glove box on the passenger side, literally. It snaps into an indentation on top of the panel itself.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts