Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there...If someone could please help me out it would be much appreciated! I bought a 83 seville with a blown ht4100 engine and am going through options of what to replace it with. I'm in New Zealand so options are few and far between...however I have tracked down a earlier year model at the wreckers with an olds diesel in it. I also have found a 350 petrol olds engine out of a 77 seville that has been converted to carburetor. My question is what are the things I need out of the diesel wreak to convert my car to the olds engine? I've already done a lot of research to come to the conclusion that this would be my best bet. But I'm open to different opinions. If anyone has done this or knows what's involved it would be much appreciated! Cheers!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hello,
I guess the earlier car you found with a diesel is a 79-85 E or K with the Olds diesel. I hope it was another Seville. The "bustle backs" are polarizing... I really don't like them and would hate to see any of these other cars sacrificed to save one...

It's a long list but here goes:
-AC suction/discharge lines are different
-Brackets - You need essentially every bracket under the hood. You will not be able to use the brackets from the HT4100 but most can come from any Olds application with the compressor on the passenger side and alternator on the driver side.
-Motor mounts << Specific to the cars I mentioned above
-Fan shroud? << Not certain they are different.
-Axle support bearing bracket? Bolts to side of the block (BTW: The bearing itself is a unique and obsolete PN)
-Differential support bracket Bolts to the side of the block. I would need to verify but I think the bracket/ bearing assembly mount on the right side output of the differential which makes me wonder if the same output is used on the HT4100 or if that is even different.
-Possibly power steering pressure line but those may be very similar and capable of being adjusted
-Cruise control set-up?? Maybe you could adapt the HT set-up? Not certain. The older Olds vacuum pod set-up is attached to the intake manifold-thermostat housing area. I suspect if you use the fuel system from the HT4100 you could adapt a cruise control bracket to work with the Olds.
-Radiator? <<Not sure where the inlet and outlet are on the HT4100
-Condenser? << Probably the same PN and as long as the lines don't interfere and the AC discharge fitting is the same you don't need it.
-Exhaust manifolds and you should get "Y" pipe as well.
-The diesel will likely have heavier duty torsion bars but would be "required"

What was wrong with the diesel car in the junkyard? If it's corrosion free it would be an easier swap. Would they sell the entire car? Every diesel version I've seen from 79-85 had the optional gauge package but I suspect there was no optional package for the Cadillac.

BTW: Don't junk the diesel engine. They had some head bolt issues but were mostly misunderstood. The injector pumps sometimes had issues as well. In addition the diesel can serve as the base for an extremely durable gasoline version. Mondello would be one place to learn more.

Scott

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz, 1983 Sedan deVille
1,503 Posts
Depends on your desired level of niceness. My 2 cents is to not attempt it without the diseasel and 4100 cars parked next to each other in the driveway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts