Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 RWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I picked up an 05 CTS 3.6l with 102,000 miles from a family member with a bottom end knock last year. Life was so busy I did not get to look at it until this year. The engine seized when I moved it across the driveway, and I was really surprised that it developed a knock to begin with knowing the mileage and regular maintenance history.

Anyhow, I picked up a tested good engine out of a 2005 CTS last weekend from a local junkyard on a car that had 130,000 miles, but the carfax on the donor car showed oil changes every 3-5,000 miles it's entire life. My goal is to sell this car once I am done, but I want to make sure I don't screw anyone over. If any of you were doing this, would you go ahead and proactively change out the timing chain, plugs, etc, or is there an easy way to tell if timing chain stretch is an issue before tearing the timing cover off? Obviously if I was going to change the timing chain, I would want do it with the engine out of the car. I found some great posts on this forum on how to do the timing chain change, etc...but it is quite an investment on a car I am not planning on keeping for the long term. Thoughts, or ways to check for stretch on the bench without pulling everything apart?

Also, I am planning on pulling the engine through the top (it is easier in the driveway for me). I already have it mostly ready to pull other than needing to move the a/c compressor and a few more miscellaneous wires (and of course unbolting the engine from the tranny). Any thoughts or tricks from those that have done this?

I ordered everything from Amazon this week including intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, timing chain kit, timing cover gaskets, spark plugs, filters, coolant outlet o ring, fuel injector orings, dexcool, etc. I can return things pretty easily if they are not needed, so I figured I would reach out and ask. Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >132k miles
762 Posts
I can give you my 2¢ on the timing chain questions but will let others chime in for the engine removal.

I don't know of an easy way to bench test the chains without specialized equipment. Personally, I would change them with the engine out. Much easier this way. Also consider the oil pump...I did not do mine when I did the chains but would likely include it if I were to do it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thought on the oil pump...I’ll think about that too...this is what I was thinking based on what I have been reading about this motor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...I got the engine out the top yesterday...wasn’t as hard as I thought...used a jack under the front of the tranny for angle after disconnecting/removing what was in the way. Here is an in progress picture for reference. For anyone doing this in the future...keep in mind that once the ECM is disconnected from the vehicle wiring harness there are only a couple of grounds on the passenger side that need to be disconnected...one on the rear of the head and another on the side. Unbolt the Trans line bracket, swing the ac compressor out of the way. I also removed the alternator, starter, intake engine plenum, fuel line, hoses and it was easy sailing.
9D1A0543-D5BE-4048-8527-AB979C830F4E.jpeg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts