Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing this, if its possible. The 94 has a lot lower k's. My 97 still has lots of power and gets good mileage (30+ mpg hiway) but its burning oil (maybe a litre every 1000 km... i do NOT baby this car) and sounds very ill. About to roll 300,000 km on the 97. The 94 has a rebuilt trans with less than 10,000 on it. Was actualy thinking about a rebuild on the 94, drive the 97 til it pukes and maybe swap in a 'fresh' engine. I'm confident the 97 will last the summer if i keep the oil topped up, that gives me lots of time to play with the 94 once its out.

Question is.... are there any major differences that will prevent the swap? Im hoping majority of electrical, harness etc.. will be kept from the 97. Just drop the 94 engine in and plug it all in? (that is... not drop, but raise it in? from under the car heh.. )

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,494 Posts
The 94 models use OBD-I diagnostic and data transmission protocol, while 96 and later use the OBD-II. I don't think the two drivetrains/car controls are electrically or data compatible.

·
Registered
1994 eldorado
1 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, but reversed. I have a 94 eldorado that i would like to upgrade to the OSD2 diagnostic, is it possible without replacing everything and being a lot more trouble than it is worth?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts