Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 sevilles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Seville SLS, surges when idiling (about 500 RPM) the lights also dim, if I idle too long I get a message stating battery not charging. I know the alternator is good I've checked it several times. The battery is original to the car. If I give it a little gas and bring the RPMs to 800 or 900 RPMs, everything is fine. my question is this: will an old battery cause many different messages to be displayed? I frequently get check theft system, passanger door ajar (when it's not) Trunk open etc. The battery for this car is not easy to find and rather pricey at that. Does this sound like a battery only issue???? thanks for any info.
OccDoc

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,694 Posts
The battery is original to the car.
Your battery 8 years old before you try to troubleshoot anything you need to put a new group 79 battery in it. My guess would be that a new battery will cause most of your issues to go away. At idle most Deville's and Seville's draw more power than the alternator can put out and relies on the battery to make up the shortfall. Expect to pay $120-$140 if you go with the AC Delco. If that's too much Wal-Mart sells a MAXXX brand group 79 for around $80.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,551 Posts
To answer your question, yes. Low voltage brings all sorts of electrical gremlins out to play.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,990 Posts
Typical dying battery/Cadillac symptoms. The fuel filler door is another dying battery "ghost".

Buy the best possible Group 79 battery you can get. You won't regret it. Make very sure that the cable terminals are clean and tight, the ground cable is firmly attached to the floor pan lug, and the vent tubes are connected properly.

Remember to disconnect the rear seat heater cable - passenger side, under the slightly lifted seat bottom. Might as well check the condition of the rear fuse/relay box, too.

·
Registered
2 sevilles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I thank all of you for your input. I guess I'll go out tomorrow and buy the AC Delco Group 79 battery. I kinda thought those were "voltage dependent" gremlins.................. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts