Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1995 cadillac fleetwood brougham
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
FTSS As much as I respect your tips and advice I'm very put off by your rudeness I have more respect for Jayoldschool, silverfox and all the others who chimed in whom you refer to as the ''wiser oldsters'' but are so perplexed why they haven't responded and or given more recommendations. Probably because they are busy helping other forum members, and can't get back to everyone, they also have lives and their own shit going on, also who's to say maybe they private messaged me because it's easier to talk one on one with them. In all honesty everyone here except you has been very decent to talk to they don't respond with the bullshit arrogance that you have. Your intentions to be helpful is good and I respect your knowledge and how thorough you are in tracing down a problem but do you have to be so goddamn arrogant?

for example
ME: Should I go ahead and replace the PCV or waste of time? .....
YOU: Confused. The PCV is an expected and customary periodic maint. item. How can expected and customary periodic maint.ever be a waste of time?

.FTSS I'm not a f*cking mechanic! I know when tires, brakes, fluids etc need to be done but as for everything else on the car I haven't a freakin clue. Surely someone as smart as you, who has read and picked holes in my thread should know this guy doesn't know a f*cking thing about cars!

so why FTSS would you assume that I would know that specific part is expected and customary and a periodic maintenance-(((Spelt the whole word because you couldn't be bothered...) item that needs to be replaced? I'm not as knowledgeable as you are and admit that. But I certainly don't try to make the person I'm trying to help feel like an idiot which is exactly the impression I get from you!

ME:So I'm guessing my engine is worn out?
YOU:Not understanding of your question, especially in light of the two posts immediately prior to yours. In fact the exact opposite is indicated.

To make it simple for you the main issue that I originally started out with how the car was running like crap has been somewhat resolved not completely but way better than how it was before so how is it the opposite? That is light side to that problem. My question for the ''Wiser oldsters'' was with This new issue I had just found out with the air smelling of gasoline coming from the dip stick and oil cap filler made me concerned thinking okay this is new and has never happened before the car appears to be running fine but could this be an indication that the engine is getting tired? air coming out of those areas is one thing but if it smells of gas could it it be something more serious hence the reason why I'm trying to figure out weather or not the PCV is worth it or a waste of time as I don't think it would fix the gasoline smell or not.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,391 Posts
So I'm guessing my engine is worn out? Should I go ahead and replace the PCV or waste of time? I only discovered the air coming out of the oil dipstick holder and cap when I went to check the level. To my knowledge I've never felt air coming out from those areas before. Like I mentioned no oil is shooting out from the areas no smoke either. no smoke out the exhaust so it's not burning just a slight amount of air and smell of gasoline coming from the oil fill and dip stick
Not saying your engine is "worn out". Just that at 126,000 some stuff might need attention.

Some blowby is normal - but positive pressure in the crankcase, as from a faulty PCV system, is not good. Check out the PCV valve and lines - there should be a right powerful vacuum at the PCV valve. Not sure which type of PCV "valve" you have - some used the older "rattle valve" type; some use a fixed orifice type. The orifice is specifically sized for that engine and powertrain calibration and the constant air bleed is factored into the idle and part-throttle fuel mixture calculations. The older rattle valves are also engine-specific - correct part number in the catalogs hanging on the oil/air filter, radiator cap, PCV racks.

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,043 Posts
For tyler-, appears I got your dander up at tad so I'll take that as at least a little headway. But you'll do well to go back and scrutinize my observations and recommendations as opportunities for effective course correction and refocus to accomplish your goals, - whatever they may be. Just that and nothing more.

And you'll be gratified to know your defense of the sage oldsters on here is laudable, but entirely misplaced. I consider any one of the blokes can clean my clock considering their appreciable experience over mine. But looking at what I typed it's clear that I'm not critical of anyone else for failing to follow up with you, but instead it's my noticing repeat instances of your absense of any feedback or follow-up regarding their excellent recommendations directly related to your issues that has me perplexed.

And to add some perspective, replies are intended to multi-task as archive reference for future searchers as well as specifically responding to the OP. The thread title is excellent for these purposes, so a trick you might try is to reread everything posted from the start but as though it's someone else's thread.

It would seem I've done all the damage (or good) as possible here. I've been exactly in your shoes many times before, so wish you best luck and greatest possible enjoyment with your classic tub just as I do with mine.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,043 Posts
Tyler... take a deep breath, don't stress. FTSS is one of the good guys. You want him here helping. If you're willing to read, learn, and wrench, we'll all be here for you.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts