Cadillac Owners Forum banner
899 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tb582 
#1 ·
wierd problem 88 eldo, when ever I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right and hold it there for maybe 2 sec the call will stall, engine will shut off, power will remain on but when I try to start the car up again it takes about 5-8 sec to turn over.... any ideas, no error codes or warning lights come up.

#2 ·
Does the belt squeal at all when you do that? The first thing that came to my mind was maybe the power steering pump pully was giving so much resistance that the engine couldn't handle it. I bet the resistance from that pully plays a part in it, but I doubt that the belt could handle stopping the engine on its own without snapping. There's got to be other factors...Does it stall at any other time? Is the engine in gear when it happens? If you press the gas a little while turning the wheel, does it prevent this from happening? :confused:

#3 ·
I'm likely butting in where I don't belong since I have NO experience with the '88 model year. Butt, I do have an observation and a question.

Northstars have a power steering pressure sensor that alerts the PCM when pressure is high, as when the wheel is turned to full lock. This tells the PCM to instruct the idle speed control motor to crank up the idle a bit.

Does the '88 model year enjoy such a feature? A failed power steering pressure sensor would have obvious consequences, assuming of course that you have one.

Anyone know?

Regards,
Warren

#4 ·
Krashed989 said:
Does the belt squeal at all when you do that? The first thing that came to my mind was maybe the power steering pump pully was giving so much resistance that the engine couldn't handle it. I bet the resistance from that pully plays a part in it, but I doubt that the belt could handle stopping the engine on its own without snapping. There's got to be other factors...Does it stall at any other time? Is the engine in gear when it happens? If you press the gas a little while turning the wheel, does it prevent this from happening? :confused:
Nope belt doesnt squeal and it doesn't stall at any other time, Yes its in N, D, or R. Not sure about pressing on the gas...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.