Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 cts with 3.8 motor. car runs great but at times when at idle it will just start running very rough and stall. this usually occurs at redlights. I have had it to the dealer several times but they cant find a thing. They did a tune up and replaced the throtle body and map sensor but to no avail. tired of throwing parts at this thing.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
im going to assume you mean 3.6L

i had a similar issue with my truck, if i wasnt on the gas it would stall out.
look into idle air motor aka idle air sensor.
its basically a motor the size of your thumb that has a plunger attached to it that moves in and out to keep your idle air flow at the right rate. it should be attached to the throttle body if the CTS has one.

here is a link to one...i dont think this one fits the cts but gives a better description.
its also called idle air control.
http://www.introls.com/category-detail.php?catid=5000/Idle-Air-Control-Motors-(IAC-1)

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
you have the 3.6, there was no 3.8 in the CTS. if you have taken it to a dealer and they just keep replacing what they think it might be and leave you to pick up the tab and still have the same problem, stop taking it to them.
do you have a CEL?

edit: mike i didnt see anything like you described when i had my throttle body out. infact im holding on to my old TB right now and the only thing controlling air flow is the main damper door

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
CTS's were not made with a 3.8L They had a 3.6L Try changing COP's, plugs, run some seafoam through it.

Edit: looks we all were replying at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts