Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 98 Seville STS with 143 Thousand miles Engine runs good, there are no trouble codes. Fuel pump pressure is 45 psi and holds between 40 and 45 psi. I took the car to a shop for diagnostic check, barely made it. Shut down several times but would restart. the engine would run in gear until you pushed the gas pedal or sometimes would shut down as soon as you put it in gear. The shop said the Alt. was not charging two diodes were blown and the regulator was not working. This is the Liquid cooled Alt. down deep beside the motor. The shop changed the Alt. then 4 hours later claimed the wiring Harness was burned up. this is the one to the alt and the oil pressure,Oil level, AC and oxy senser. I was told to replace it would cost me $4100. I took the car home with AAA and pulled the harness 4 wires could short, and the one for oil level was Broken. I repaired them with High temp tape. and kept them away from the exhaust (The Alt was changed 14 months ago and the Mech did not restrap the wires causing them to burn and short)
After this repair the car started up fine, I had disconnected the battery so there were no old engine codes or new ones. The Check engine light stayed out. went to go for a ride and stepped on the gas and the engine died. that let the air out of me.. So I took off at a craw and started down the road up to 45 mph. then the car started the shutdown and run mode lurching along while the Check engine light would flash each time the engine died. but would not stay on.. The Battery has been fully charged and the Dash shows 13.9V at idle and 14.1 at 1500 rpm.
Maybe someone has had this problem before or vast knowledge and can explain to me what my problem could be.?. Thanks for any light you can shed on my Problem.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Get a fuel pressure gauge with a long hose and tape it to the windshield. Then try to get the problem to happen. Does the pressure dip dramatically when you apply throttle? or when it dies?

It kinda sounds more like an ailing fuel pump to me.

If it was the alt, you wouldn't have been able to start it back up after it died (or even turn the engine over).

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The Shutdown happens right after you put it into Drive.
I am able to backup at a crawl. the fuel pressure holds at 43 during all conditions. I got the codes after clearing them then starting the car and trying to drive.. PCM P1599,Imp 1341 and 1344, Rss 1788 and a RIM B1009 Current I had a code of P603 which was Pcm error but that went away when I fixed the wire harness problem. Thanks for any help..

Thanks to this great site I was able to get the codes from the Dash .. Thanks..

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,584 Posts
This is just a shot in the dark from the hip, but when was the last time that the TB was cleaned? The "dies when it is put in gear", has me suspicious.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Possibly never . I was going to clean the TPS next so I will clean the Throttle body. the guys at the shop did spray starting fluid in after I arrived at the shop under a hot no start. and it would not fire then either.. C any of the anti theft device cause injector shut down and stall .. wow really scratching my head here.. the fuel pump and filter is fine. or it would not still hold 45 psi when it dies.. the Battery drops down quickly to 11.6 volts after attempted cranking but still shows 14.1 when running at 1500. you can stomp on the gas or rev it up quickly if it is not in gear. The idle is smooth.. only when you put the lever in reverse or Drive does it die. it moves in reverse.. but stalls in Drive 1.2.or 3 Thanks for your help..:stirpot:

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Maybe something in the tranny is not right so when it's in gear it locks up and kills the motor?.... I'm also shooting in the dark... Try having the mechanic put it on a lift and then shift into drive when it's in the air.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Tranny works fine Krash, I have been able to drive down the road up to 45 mph by lightly pushing the gas pedal , my title is misleading sorry when the engine is cold you can get it to move about a mile down the road the engine will stumble a couple times then finally shut down with no codes. It will restart and move a couple times more. finally shutting completely down and not starting until the engine cools..

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,584 Posts
Do what Krashed suggested in post #2. Let us know what the fuel pressure is when driving and just before it stalls.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,149 Posts
...............see if the guys at the shop have a spare MAF and/or IAT sensor (I believe yours are separate, unlike the 2000+) that can be swapped in. This sounds like a fuel/air mixture response problem. Any serious vacuum leaks that you know of ???

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ranger I would really like to believe the shutdown is caused by 0 or Low fuel pressure. But, now it only lets me drive in reverse. as soon as I put it in drive it shutsdown like you just turned off the Key. I checked all vacuum lines and electrical sensor connections.. I am in the process of cleaning the TB,TPS,MAF and IAT and doing the electrical check of these components. :banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Sub, wouldn't a "serious" vacuum leak cause a very high idle?
I had a full on crack in the intake manifold of my 2001 SLS and it would die if I didnt keep my foot on the pedal. One day the dustcap popped off the intake tubing and I could barely even get the thing to start.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,584 Posts
In that case, check the over pressurization valve at the front of the manifold, but I'd still expect a high idle and a lot of noise.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
...when the engine is cold you can get it to move about a mile down the road the engine will stumble a couple times then finally shut down with no codes...
Check the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)... Maybe the diaphragm ruptured and it's flooding the engine.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could any of the anti theft items cause this shutdown that would be a good deterrent.
Krashed the engine will idle and rev. all day in neturl or Park. smooth with no shakes. The chilton manual really is not good for me .. nothing in trouble shooting. there was a code for the anti theft. but I cleared all the codes and the only PCM code I get is the P1599 (Engine Stalled) couldn't believe that the PCM is only $127. From Auto Zone.. But don't want to go there without proof.. There is none.. are the Dash codes to be trusted.I don't understand the IPM codeB1344,RimB1009,RSSC1738 anyone help on these I went to your great code page but found only PCM ? P1599

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,584 Posts
Victour, theose other codes are Body and Chassis codes. They will not be found under the PCM code listings.

I'd be very leery of buying anything electrical, much less a PCM from AutoZone.

Haynes and Chiltons manuals are rather useless. I think you are going to need a FSM by Helm Inc. Check Ebay.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Krash the engine Idles fine, Guys ! cracked manifolds and ruptured vacuum lines, the engine would not Idle fine.. it is smooth. That is why I am thinking, a safety device that is shutting down the engine to prevent some type of damage. I really don't want to give up and take it to another shop and start all over again. caddy wants $98 and another shop wants $97. to diagnose. the problem. I noticed that no one mentioned the PCM I was amazed to find I can buy one for $127. Remember in my first statement that I said the wires were shorted to each other for the Alt. field. oil pressure, oil level and the AC. I was thinking if the Oil pressure was shorted in the PCM . That it would shutdown , but also at Idle showing no oil pressure.. My Brother said I can't go home until I fix it.. I like calif better than Florida but I have needy relatives back home .. So send more Ideas, of the problem Please..

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I am at a total loss myself Krash. Ichecked all the throttle body parts and couldn't find the FSM in ebay so we called the tow truck to take it to a Highly rated local shop. I promise that I will get back to you guys and let you know what the problem was.. If they can find it... They have the latest High Tech. Diagnostic Equiptment. I wish them Luck

1 - 20 of 42 Posts