Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 deville and when i start it up in the morning it starts to shake when its being warmed up, not a real bad shake but noticeable could it be a tune up or heads or engine problems?

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks has anyone else had this problem and fount out what it was before I spend a tone of money trying to figure it out thanks

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
On mine, cold start misfire was caused by coolant leaked into cylinders (head gasket). Water/coolant cannot be compressed. Are you using coolant?

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use what the manual instructs me to put in if forgot whats it called it might be dexcol by prestone? it doesn't do it all the time but sometimes on cold mornings for about 15sec then it goes away to normal

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,145 Posts
What he was asking is are you "using" coolant? Do you have to regularly top off the system?

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about that yes I do use coolant and no I don't have to top off until i get an oil change or just happen to look under the hood an notice it low

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,145 Posts
Any overheating? Any visible coolant seepage (dried Dex leaves a chalky white telltale residue)?

·
Registered
2000 DHS
535 Posts
Have you had any issues with overheating recently? It sounds like you may have a bad head gasket. You may need to consider doing a block test for combustion gas in the coolant. You can rent the kit from NAPA and probably about $10.00 for the fluid. If the fluid turns from blue to yellow or green it is a definitive confirmation of a failed head gasket, if it doesn't, you MAY be okay, there have been false negatives with early stage gasket failure that when repeated later are positive. I tried to find the instructional video for the test on the site but was unsuccessful, maybe someone will know or you can check youtube.com, they may have one.

EDIT: Ranger posted while I was looking for info on block test, sorry for dual posting the question.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
Mine does shake aswell during first start in the morning, and I think it's because i haven't done a tune up in a while !

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
could also be something simple like a leaky injector flooding a chamber, might be smart to pay for some diagnostic time to get it narrowed down

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car doesn't overheat at all but I do see some fluid around the fans a little by the radiator but no overheating and no smell of radiator fluid I do think it's time for a tune up it only happens on cld mornings for about 10-15sec then back to normal?

·
Registered
2000 DHS
535 Posts
What does needing a tuneup have to do with losing coolant? I would at least check for loose clamps, leaking hose connections, leaks around the water pump housing and crossover gaskets.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
the only tune up items on 2000+ northstars are the plugs (which last for 100,000 miles) so if you're over 100,000 and haven't put new plugs in you should do that

air and fuel filter both have much shorter lifespans (see your owner's manual for the recommended service periods for those)

have you pulled the codes from the onboard computer in the dash?

·
Registered
03 Deville
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the tune up not being done ia awhile might be one of the cars problems with shaking the coolant is another issue with shaking both need to be checked on

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
losing coolant would not be an issue related to a shaking engine
Unless coolant is getting into the cylinders and causing a misfire condition. This kind of misfire does not usually cause P0300 or blinking SES light.

Not trying to scare you, but there are so many possibilities. Start with the cheapest diagnostics (block test) to rule out HG's. If it turns out okay, then you can change plugs (AC Delco #41-987) and see if it helps.

Any smoke from exhaust? If so, any smell to it? (NOTE: cold morning steam is fine.)

Head gasket smoke: (This was when my car had misfire due to coolant in the cylinders)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts