Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 DeVille 4.5, 95 STS N*
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so ago, my mom bought an 04 CTS. Thank God I told her that her 95 STS (N*) was mine when she was ready to trade it--so I now have it. We now have 3 Caddys in the family, my mom's 04 CTS, my 95 STS, my son's 88 Coupe. Awesome sight when they are all in the same driveway.....

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone will help me with--I am a newby to this forum and this 95 STS is my first Caddy.

I was on the super slab in the 95 STS other day and it revs 2500 RPM at 75 mph. Is that right or is it not shifting into OD??? It has ~154k miles on the clock.

The service engine light comes on intermittently but not often. Is there a way to pull the codes without having to purchase the ~$40 code reader? I also have an 88 Mustang that you can use a jumper wire and a volt meter to check the codes. Can you do anything like that with the Caddy??? (I'm scared to line the Mustang up with the Caddy... That N* is awesome.....)

I also need a good repair manual for the 95 STS. What do you suggest?

Like I said, I'm a newby, so if answers to these questions are covered somewhere else, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
You can pull the codes without buying a reader, do a search or look in the tech tips section, i forget exactly how, but its very easy. Haynes or chilton repair manuals are ok, but there's a huge difference between working on a N* and a 5.0. Post your codes you will find out what going on with that tranny, maybe a bad shift solenoid.

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
At 75 MPH mine uses about 2500 RPM or slightly less. It's usually the same at 80, but a wee bit higher through 80-90. If you do a little less than 75, like between 70 and 75, you should be a little under 2500 RPM.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
You can pull the codes without buying a reader, do a search or look in the tech tips section, i forget exactly how, but its very easy. Haynes or chilton repair manuals are ok, but there's a huge difference between working on a N* and a 5.0. Post your codes you will find out what going on with that tranny, maybe a bad shift solenoid.
Pulling codes with the DIC was discontinued early in the '03 model year for the CTS. Only the most ancient CTSs with a pewter colored dash have this feature. You'll have to go to AutoZone for free readouts.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
You can always go to a place like autozone for a free readout. They should be able to take care of that. Update us after you find that out.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
2500 RPM @ 75 MPH sounds about right for an STS. The SLS turns 1950 @ 70 MPH (not sure what it turns @ 75).

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Would the final drive in ETC or STS vs. ESC or SLS make the 500 rpm difference?:hmm:
Yes. On my '97 SLS, I could drive between 75 and 80 with the engine at 2000 RPM. On my '01 STS, 2000 RPM is only about 60 MPH (and 75 MPH is about 2500 RPM, as others have stated).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts