Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay call me crazy but my 4.9 engine revs when I'm in park idling and I turn the steering wheel to either side. The rpms go up and down as does the TPS angle according to p.01 and p.0.8 readouts. is this supposed to happen. does anyone else's 4.9 here do this. i recently put on a flowmaster and i guess i can hear it now and i began to investigate, not sure if it did it before. please guys go out and test an let me know. im wondering know if i have some vaccum leak. i've checked and cant find one. is my car crazy or is that how cars work at least the 4.9's?

thanks

:bonkers:

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
How about this:
turning wheels while stationaly puts a lot of load on the power steering pump. That loads up the engine, rpms drop and PCM tries to compensate by increasing rpms.

Peteski

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya that came to mind. but is that the way it should work or is that just an idea? also do any of ur cars do it????

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thats the way it works. Like peteski said. There is actually a power steering pressure sensor that the PCM uses to adjust the idle. I think that most computer controlled cars do this.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L
203 Posts
Is this the same thing as when I'm going in reverse and parking that the rpms hunt around when I don't touch the gas? Sometimes it'll speed up a bit, sometimes it won't move...actually, same thing happens when I stop at lights, but less noticeably.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts