Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday soon as I got around the corner from my house I got a notification on my dash saying engine power reduced. This was right after I had to speed up to pass a slower car. Once the notification went off the car barely wanted to move but did allow me to make it to the house at 5mph. I noticed that it was running very rough and the RPM's was right around 1000. Once I cut the car off it struggled to restart like the battery was dead. Since it was so hot around 95 degrees I let it cool off. I started it this morning and could tell right away that the engine was skipping only this time I had white smoke coming out of the drivers side tail pipe and a strong smell of gas. So strong that I had to change clothes. I moved it from the driveway into the garage and haven't moved or started it since. I'm waiting on my tech 2 so I can see what codes have been set since the check engine light is on. I checked the oil and the dip stick smells like gas. It isn't the milk color you get with a blown head gasket. Coolant is normal and level. The check engine light didn't flash like it does for a misfire but with the engine power reduced warning I guess that is a safety measure that wouldn't allow the rpm's to get high enough. I know without the codes I'm clueless but I'm making this post just to get as much info as I can before I get it towed to the dealer. Praying it's just another coil pack that needs to be replaced. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
304 Posts
Check your owner's manual because I think you can pull a codes through your screen.

Roy

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,485 Posts
You are not able to pull codes via the car, it will require a standalone scanner.
With the oil dipstick smelling of fuel I'd lean towards injectors or the high pressure fuel pump, but wouldn't throw parts at it without an OBD scan first.

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
304 Posts
First thing I would do is pop the hood to see if you can spot any loose wires or hoses. That's about the easiest thing to check right off hand. You probably have an engine cover so you will have to pop that off first to get a good look around.

Roy

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I would strongly suggest an oil change along with the necessary repair(s) as well.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the codes pulled and here's what I have: P0087 Fuel/Rail system pressure to low, P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure sensor A circuit range performance.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,036 Posts
I would personally take my car to my mechanic, never the dealer unless you have a warranty or no one you can trust. Much less expensive.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,036 Posts
Good man. I had to say that.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Long story short the car ended up at the dealer anyway. Fuel pump was bad but it's covered under the warranty. In the process of diagnosing that issue they discovered that I have a bad ECM and some of the wiring had been nibbled on. ECM is covered but they're telling me that it's on back order so the car has been in the shop an entire month now. They say that I'm at the top of the list but they don't have any idea when the part will be available. I've searched the web and found this part at numerous part stores. I can do a little work under the hood but I'm no tech. Exactly where does the dealership get it's parts if I can find it but according to them they're still waiting

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Well, at least the repairs are covered!
Sucks that you have to be without the CTS for so long though.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
931 Posts
Possibly the rodent-ed wires were confused for a "bad PCM". TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if all the problems were due to chewed wires, although the in-tank pump (is this the one that is bad?) has been known to fail.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Warranty parts have to come from GM. Am surprised the ECM is bad, IME they rarely fail
Right I was quite surprised until they showed me some of the wiring and a piece of the foam under the intake that looked like it had been chewed on. Honestly I'm confused because outside of the fuel pump going out the car was working and running fine.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Possibly the rodent-ed wires were confused for a "bad PCM". TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if all the problems were due to chewed wires, although the in-tank pump (is this the one that is bad?) has been known to fail.
No it's the high pressure pump that's under the hood. When I went to check on the car the first time they showed me the wires and were saying that something wasn't grounded and they couldn't figure out where. The next time I talk to them they say they have the pump on but the ECM is bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts