Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know whether anyone else faces the same problem. Whenever I am doing 150 kph, the red engine overheating indicator light illuminates. As soon as I drop it to below 150 kph, the light goes off.

If anyone has ever faced this problem please help.

All your help and comments are appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
108 Posts
how healthy is your cooling system? I wouldn't think that a sustained 93MPH (sorry - I'm not metric - makes my waist size to big!) would over heat the engine IF the cooling system was working correctly (unless the ambient air temperature was really high). Is your vehicle stock? I assume that you're not running an aftermarket bra or grill insert (which could reduce the airflow to your radiator). It is possible that above a certain speed your airflow changes such that there's a dead air pocket in front of the grill, so there's no airflow over the radiator - but that doesn't seem likely. You could mount an air speed indicator behind the grill with a remote display and watch the airspeed indicated at various ground speeds if you were really curious (I'm going under the assumption that you don't have access to a wind tunnel with a 150+ MPH capacity).
Does this occur at a specific attitude (going up hill or down hill or only on the level)?
Just my thoughts -

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve,

First of all, thanks for responding.

Just a few months back I had the radiator hose (both upper and lower), the radiator, the coolant tank replaced because the engine was overheating. Now whenever I drive the vehicle for over say 50 to 60 kms, the temperature just rises a bit above the normal temperature and then it drops back to normal. This continues for however long I drive it.

I usually dont do 150 kph. The other day as I was in a hurry I just stepped on the gas, and the moment it touched 150 kph the red indicator switches on. If I decrease the speed below 150 kph it goes off.

Also another problem I have noticed is the car doesn't pick well. If Im doing say 50 kph and I just step on the gas, it stumbles before it can actually pick up. Could it be the sparkplugs / sparkplug cables?? Or is there anything else I have to check? Can I change them on my own instead of taking it to the workshop?

·
Registered
108 Posts
carmu said:
Just a few months back I had the radiator hose (both upper and lower), the radiator, the coolant tank replaced because the engine was overheating. Now whenever I drive the vehicle for over say 50 to 60 kms, the temperature just rises a bit above the normal temperature and then it drops back to normal. This continues for however long I drive it.

Also another problem I have noticed is the car doesn't pick well. If Im doing say 50 kph and I just step on the gas, it stumbles before it can actually pick up. Could it be the sparkplugs / sparkplug cables?? Or is there anything else I have to check? Can I change them on my own instead of taking it to the workshop?
The two problems could be related - if your car is in a bad state of tune (plugs are eroded, wires are arcing) then it's going to put more of a load on the engine when you step on the gas - which could contribute to your overheating at 150KPH - and make it stumble a bit as well. Of course you may have compromised a head gasket when it was overheating (prior to the replacement of the radiator hoses, radiator and overflow tank) - this could also account for the rise and fall in temp as you drive -
I'd replace the plugs and wires (these things don't last forever) and monitor the performance afterwards.
What year and model is your cad?

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts