Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What kind of engine oil You use in Your oldtimer cars. I am mainly interested Cadillac Deville 1963, 6.4L engine.
I mean viscosity, mineral, synthetic, manufacturer, maybe any additive?

I have Cadillac Deville 1963 and need to change oil but would to know what oil use others.

Thank You for help and all answers.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
I would use a "high mileage" conventional, blend or synthetic lube oil with a WIX or NAPA Gold filter in the original viscosity range recommended for your engine. You don't need additives.

The newer "energy saving" SM and SN oils don't have enough flat tappet anti-scuff package to suit me. The high mileage oils do.

Take a look at Joe Gibbs Driven website. They package all sorts of oils for older vehicles. You don't have to worry about a catalytic converter, so you could easily run one of his HR multigrade oils with an older additive package that would destroy a 1990 and later exhaust system.

There is no oil on the shelves that was originally used in your engine - look at the chart ................... and to go further back, Google something like "api engine oil specification chart" or something close.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever use my spouts again? Have not seen round paper oil cans for awhile.
I'm not giving up though.I alway thought that when I grew up I'd have one of those wall racks that the garages would stick the used cans in to finish draining off into a pail. ( That was the oil I bought for my jalopies) REAL multi grade! Heh...Heh

The Joe Gibbs products are supposed to be top shelf!

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I was a Clark Gas manager in the late 70's, had all those cool toys back when!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts