Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my car and the previous owner put in synthetic oil which I believe is 10w30. I have heard the main bearing thump get more noticeable slightly and was wondering if switching to a thicker oil will help and if so what thickness. I live in Charlotte and it rarely gets into the teens during winter and has hot, humid summers. The car has low miles at 69,100 and I may get the bearings repaired but for now I'm living with it.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
I purchased my car and the previous owner put in synthetic oil which I believe is 10w30. I have heard the main bearing thump get more noticeable slightly and was wondering if switching to a thicker oil will help and if so what thickness. I live in Charlotte and it rarely gets into the teens during winter and has hot, humid summers. The car has low miles at 69,100 and I may get the bearings repaired but for now I'm living with it.
-------------------
thicker oil will NOT make up for worn bearings -

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I don't thin it can hurt to give it a try; especially since warm weather is coming your way very soon. Let us know if it makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
If anything, I'd go back to conventional oil first. Though I wouldn't hold my breath.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts