Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my new 2014 Escalade in Dec 2014. I am in New England. Recently, I noticed some engine noise when accelerating in cold days. Extended warmup time can relieve significantly, but the noise still persists. Anyone in the same situation?

·
Registered
A red 2007 escalade base and a orange 2004 lamborghini galla
167 Posts
Same thing happened to me it's probably the engine belt the black belt thing on the motor haha sorry I don't know what it's called but that's what I replaced and the sound went away it's the serpentine belt yea that's the name

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
311 Posts
I'm assuming you mean cold engine knock, commonly referred to as piston slap. The 07s and 08s were notorious for it. Surprised to hear it coming from a 14. The northeast has been pounded this year with snow and frigid temps so I imagine not a lot of vehicles sound great. I grew up in Michigan so louder engines in the winter were normal for me.

I would search piston slap in here and Google. See if what others describe it was you have. If it's the main drive belt or ac belt (Escalades have two belts) then it'll be a squeal or chirp. But from what you described I'd bet money it's piston slap.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I bought my new 2014 Escalade in Dec 2014. I am in New England. Recently, I noticed some engine noise when accelerating in cold days. Extended warmup time can relieve significantly, but the noise still persists. Anyone in the same situation?
Sounds like piston slap. Does it disappear after it's completely warmed up?

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV AWD
228 Posts
Hasn't this (piston slap) been evident on small block GM trucks for over 10 years(ex. 2001 Suburban 5.3L)? Not that i agree with this issue, but If I'm not mistaken it does not really cause any long term issue/damage as per GM. Normally I wold not agree but it's hard to argue GM's stand on this issue when I have a 2001 Subrban in the driveway that is my daily driver that has 290,000 miles on it with no engine repairs performed on it but has made this noise for as long as I can remember...

-John

·
Registered
A red 2007 escalade base and a orange 2004 lamborghini galla
167 Posts
When you let your car warm up by turning it on and letting it idle for a couple min before driving it it really helps increase your cars engine and part life

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,436 Posts
What is a complete warmup?
Start the engine and let it complete the first leg or two of the fast idle sequence. Then shift into gear and drive normally, avoiding full throttle operation, until at least 10 miles have elapsed. The coolant may be warming up, but the oil is still as cold as a rock at 6 - 8 miles. Complete warmup is when the engine oil reaches its ideal operating temp of 185 - 210 degrees - and that takes quite a while in cold/cool weather.

remember: That PCV system ventilates the crankcase and valve cover areas - condensed acids and moisture needs to get HOT to pass off as a vapor and be burned by the PCV system. Short winter hops are death for an engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts