Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to take the V into the dealer next week to get the sunroof switch replaced and take care of a few other minor issues. Yesterday when I shut the car down I noticed a lot of extra vibration as the engine spooled down. I also notice a lot of extra vibration at idle. The vibration subsides under throttle and higher revs.

My concern is a busted motor mount - if this is indeed the case, will I cause damage to the engine/car by driving it a few more days?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Just drive it really hard and do a lot of drifting and burnouts. Should fix the problem.

Just playin, obviously. I have a very similar, if not the same, problem too. Keep this post updated with your results from the dealer. I took my V in to them and complained about an obnoxious rattle when idling and shutting down the engine, but they said they looked for a cause and could find nothing. I'd be interested to find out what is causing this. Good luck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just an FYI:

My V is in at Covert for a list of issues. This is the 1st service appointment since the very first week of ownership (Dec '04). David Sappington is my service advisor and has the personality of a box of wood. I had to call him at 4pm yesterday to figure out what the status was to only find out that it was being kept overnight. I told him to give me an update today. I gave him until 4:30pm today before I had to call again. Find out parts won't get in until tomorrow or possibly Friday. He won't freely give any information without me specifically asking. Not very impressed.

I also forgot to pull my CAGS harness off, keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't say anything.

List of items for service:
- bad TPS
- trunk latch doesn't "pop" open
- rear sail-panel pulled away from interior
- wheel hop fix
- parade clunk
- tranny issues
- peeling radio buttons

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LV_V: I'll keep you posted on the dealer's "solution"... So you're suggesting I should lay off the drifting and burnouts (or bumpouts as I like to call them - courtesy of the wheel hop option)? :yup:

erp2863: Thanks for the update - I am really not looking forward to taking the car in. I was not impressed the first (and only) time I took it in. My list...

- reprogram TPS (failed to do this when they rotated tires at 3500 miles)
- wheel hop fix
- parade clunk
- tranny issues
- peeling radio buttons

Any of that sound familiar?

I'm also going to get the climate control functionality of the sunroof disabled. Apparently it knows when the weather is nice and just opens automatically - who knew we had this option?

Leeman: Yes - I think we may have discussed this in a thread several months ago. Sounds like there are at least 4 of us in the Austin area. I wouldn't mind getting a few pics of the cars together. Set it up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
LV_V said:
I took my V in to them and complained about an obnoxious rattle when idling and shutting down the engine, but they said they looked for a cause and could find nothing. I'd be interested to find out what is causing this.
I noticed mine when I turned the motor off with my door open. To me, it sounds like the throw out bearing...mine did not do it when I had the clutch in...typical TO bearing noises. If this were my mustang, I would just tighten up the clutch cable some...not sure how to do this on our hydraulic setup yet.

But as far as driving with a suspected broken motor mount, just take it easy...take off in 2nd if you are really worried. It takes quite a bit to get a motor to lift itself off a broken mount....but I have seen it before. On a '69 stang with no hood...it was almost cool looking(teenagers...sheesh!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I didn't realize that there is a fix for the parade clunk(other than constant WOT!). Is this something that has been addressed, or are we starting to apply pressure to have this annoyance remedied?

Pay no attention to the red mark, I think I angered some people on the XLR forum.

·
Alexandria, Va
Work on them all...
1,213 Posts
RocketV said:
I didn't realize that there is a fix for the parade clunk(other than constant WOT!). Is this something that has been addressed, or are we starting to apply pressure to have this annoyance remedied?

Pay no attention to the red mark, I think I angered some people on the XLR forum.
There is not a fix for the parade clunk - TSB here http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pi01987.pdf

What we have found on a few of the V's that we worked on was the front differential mount bushing was worn. This caused a lot more play in the drivetrain, amplifying the clunk. Replacing that bushing helped, but did not eliminate the parade clunk.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Lindsay Cadillac said:
There is not a fix for the parade clunk - TSB here http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pi01987.pdf

What we have found on a few of the V's that we worked on was the front differential mount bushing was worn. This caused a lot more play in the drivetrain, amplifying the clunk. Replacing that bushing helped, but did not eliminate the parade clunk.
I'm pretty sure they are replacing that bushing, as I had specifically listed the part number in my list of problems.

·
Registered
CTS-V
238 Posts
Does the parade clunk come with age/mileage, or do certain (or all) cars have it from new?

I know it happens only under certain rpm / slow start conditions, but I guess I either don't know what it sounds like or my car doesn't have it yet (still very low miles).

Just curious.

Brian R.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is no climate control function that automatically opens your sunroof. I think your sunroof controller is messed up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts