Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 sedan deville. My wife went to start it four hours after it's last run and a new light along with bells and whistles came on stating the car was overheating. The Chilton manual stated that this switch goes to ground when overheating, but it doesn't state if this will stop the car from starting.
I took it to the shop and there was no spark, so when they removed the distributor cap the ignition coil was fried and broke when they touched it.
They congratulated me for having 187k on the original ignition wires!

Is the BCM computer smart enough to disable the ignition when it senses a overheating problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
schepsr said:
I have a 91 sedan deville. My wife went to start it four hours after it's last run and a new light along with bells and whistles came on stating the car was overheating. The Chilton manual stated that this switch goes to ground when overheating, but it doesn't state if this will stop the car from starting.
I took it to the shop and there was no spark, so when they removed the distributor cap the ignition coil was fried and broke when they touched it.
They congratulated me for having 187k on the original ignition wires!

Is the BCM computer smart enough to disable the ignition when it senses a overheating problem?
No, it doesnt. It must have just messed up at the same time.

Blaze
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I had the ignition system pretty much replaced (cap,rotor,wires,plugs,coil,ignition module) and the car is purring like a kitten....$550 later. They didn't say anything about the idiot light, but it's off as well. They did not replace the switch.
This site is valuable resource.....I'll be back!
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
schepsr
Top