Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Re: Engine light keep blinking and Service traction control keep come on ,on my 06 D

You are in the wrong forum. Moved to DTS

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
If the engine light is blinking the engine or very important related system is getting ready to sh!t the bed in a very expensive way. Park the car and have it towed to a good reliable shop.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
dkozloski said:
If the engine light is blinking the engine or very important related system is getting ready to sh!t the bed in a very expensive way.
No, a flashing SES light indicates a misfire.

Gorilla, :welcome:

How many miles on the car?
If over 100K, original plugs?
Do you have access to a code reader?

·
Registered
'41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade
132 Posts
I thought a flashing SES light meant that there was a code pending. Need to have it checked with a scanner to see what the problem is. It seems to me that when the engine has a misfire condition, many times the traction control light comes on too. Maybe the signals between the engine and the traction control systems don't jive and it shuts the intelitrak down? Maybe someone else here can chime in.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
A steady SES light indicates a current, emissions related code. Emissions related codes are the only codes that trigger the SES light.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Escalade
4 Posts
If its just your engine light blinking it may be the gas cap. I had that happen once. the gas cap was not tight and it made my check engine light come on. Tightened it and two starts later the light went away. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
31 Posts
Had the same issue with my '06 DTS - 62K miles. Traction control / SES warning, code 300 (cylinder misfire), scanned at a Cadillac dealership. After changing plugs, ignition coils & front wheel hubs, trouble ended up being a loose serpentine belt pulley. Warning messages indicate a trouble but sometimes not the exact trouble.

12,778 Posts
GorillaHustla,
Per your manual, if the light is flashing then a misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increases vehicle emissions and may damage the emission control system on your vehicle. If the light were on steady, this would indicate an emission control system malfunction has been detected on your vehicle.
What is your plan of action to getting this checked into?
Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
PREAST said:
Had the same issue with my '06 DTS - 62K miles. Traction control / SES warning, code 300 (cylinder misfire), scanned at a Cadillac dealership. After changing plugs, ignition coils & front wheel hubs, trouble ended up being a loose serpentine belt pulley. Warning messages indicate a trouble but sometimes not the exact trouble.
If the belt was slipping, the alternator may not have been producing enough electricity. Low voltage can trigger false/random codes and warning message. With the exception of a low voltage condition, there is NO reason not to trust the codes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts