Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have 1997 diville.i am hearing a laud engine knock when the car is in motion but when the car is in netrual or in park and give it gas no knocking at all.i pulled the codes out and nothing.i change the engine oil and it's still the same.what could this problem be.need some help thank's.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
This does not sound like an engine noise to me. If it were an engine noise, it would do it in neutral. Is the noise speed related or RPM related?

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is RPM related only on drive. i changed the oil with 10/40 that's when it started. i drove it for 200 miles. now i changed with 20/50 castrol high milage.
drove it for 50 miles now the engine knock seems to go away for now.do you think the oil was to thin. my caddy has about 114000. thank you.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
It is supposed to use 10W30. 20W50 is way to heavy. My '97 had 107K when I sold it and never used anything but 10W30 and never knocked. Point being that 114K is nothing.

This doesn't make any sense. You go to a heavier weight oil (10W40) and the engine knocks. Then you go to a heavier oil yet (20W50) and the knock goes away?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts