Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I bought my '99 Deville D'Elegance about a month ago, Today when I started my car up to go to work I heard a knocking sound, so I immediately turned off my car and walked to work. Then when I got home I did a Diagnostic on my car, and got no codes. So I turned my car back on and the knock was still there.

Description of the knock: Putting my ear in the engine compartment when car was running the sound is loudest in the middle of the engine "around the block" and it seems loudest when I went under the car to listen. While I was under the car I can see that there is a fluid leaking, not right under the motor but a little behind it, right in between the front tires all the skid plates are saturated with oil it looks like, but its dark so who knows. I left my car on for a few minutes to let it warm up, and the warmer it got the quiter the knock got. The knock seems to increase in speed and become louder the higher my rpms get. My car only came with a 30 day powertrain/motor warranty which I think just expired or I may have like 1 day left. It sounds like the sound my Lexus made when a Pulley was out of alignment for the fanbelt, but my friend also says it sounds exactly how his car sounds before he blew a rod through the head of his motor. By the way, I tried turning off the ac to see if that was causing the knock, didn't help.

Any info on how I can find out what the problem is would be great. If its a bent rod or something in that nature would this qualify as him selling me a lemon? I know thats illegal and if its a very expencive fix i'de perfer to back out of the deal if it does qualify as a lemon.

And incase this info helps, my Car doesn't get nearly the MPG it should, i'm sitting at about 15 MPG when most get 20+ MPG, and this car has more horsepower than my Lexus but it doesn't feel nearly as powerful.

My Mind is boggled as to why my car is leaking and knocking but no codes are coming up for it... if I had a bent rod or something wouldn't it throw a code?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I couldn't sleep so I just took another look at the car... Not looking good, The Noise is defenately louder on the underside of the car. I can't see much past the skid plates "slid guards, whatever", but there are spots that I can see through to the engine, and every spot that I can see through the engine is saturated in Oil. Or some Dark brown fluid, I'm guessing when I take off the slid plate in the morning "if I figure out how" The whole lower half of the engine and everything under it will be Saturated with Oil. Sound like I have a badly leaking Head gasket, but then again I have very little experiance with auto mechanics and even less with Cadillacs.

Please tell me its something small that happens all the time. I haven't gotten the info on any recalls this car has had, so it may have not gotten any of them or it may be up to date, who knows.

The car only has 62k miles on it, thought it would last a bit longer than this.. my lexus was still running strong and was just a downpayment for this lol... :nono: In the month that i've owned this car the Oil Life went from 88% to 74%, thats from me putting about 800 miles on it, not sure if that says much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, new news... After a check of all the fluids, they all seem fine, so i started the car and listen for the noise more, and after about 2 minutes of the car on I smelt Gas. So I went to the back of my car and sure enough about a liter of gas had leaked out of the exhaust... and it was still leaking out at a steady pace.

Any insight on what could be my problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you sure nobody took a shotgun to your engine block? This sounds very strange.
If you dont have much experience with these types of things, I would suggest having the car towed to a mechanic.
Also, 15 mpg sounds about right for a deville, depending on your driving pattern.
And it may feel like it has less power, but also remember it probably weighs about 1000lbs more than your lexus.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
540 Posts
First thing is first, do you have all of the fluid levels that you should. How hard do you drive your caddy? Take your finger and smell the fluid, typically there is quite a differnce in smells of fluids. I am no pro but that more information the better for others to make suggestions. (A quart of oil is always so much cheaper than a rebuild) When was the cars last oil change?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,795 Posts
If it were gas leaking out of the exhaust I would say you have a VERY bad rich condition, but you mentioned in the thread at caddyinfo that you tried to light it and it was not flammable. The only other liquid it could be it coolant. The only way coolant can come out of the exhaust is from a bad head gasket. Get a cylinder leak down test done asap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The liquid coming from the exhaust looks, smells, and feels like Water with a little of that rainbow oil color "you know". All fluids were fine when I checked, except the power steering fluid was a bit low. I usually baby my caddy, have gone WOT like 3 times in 3 weeks, last time was friday.

I bought car 3 weeks ago, and sadly I haven't gotten an oil change or anything yet... I work 6 days a week to pay for my life.. that will be my downfall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts