Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
this is my first Post. A friend of mine bought a V8 Engine and we are trying to identify this engine. At the moment we are almost sure that is is a 425 Cadillac Engine. I attached a picture with all the numbers we could find.

Attachments

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
A lot of numbers won't help. Pictures will. Get one of the rear crankshaft flange if you can also.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
425 like you thought. :) Of course now you can measure bore and stroke directly. The oil pump housing is from a RWD installation. AC bracket over waterpump is for an axial compressor but not on a 500 as those were thick aluminum. Crankshaft flange is scalloped which makes it not a 472 or 500. Exhaust manifolds are another good indicator but I forgot to ask for pix of those. Get some type of oil into the cylinder bores ASAP and let it work on the rust. Brake fluid is good for this.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Information! Do you have any source where I can buy a restauration kit? (Shipping to europe would be nice)

Here are some exaust pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
425 for sure. Next step is to have precision measurements done on the cylinder bores and crankshaft. This will determine which rebuild parts you will need. Don't let someone accustomed to working on cheaper American engines sell you on grinding the crankshaft or boring out the cylinders unless they absolutely need it. That engine has a high nickel alloy block and it's common to find them with 200,000 miles not needing a rebore or crankshaft cut. Furthermore, cutting the crankshaft is not always the best solution with surface hardened steel. Your pictures show some rust in the cylinders which may have ruined the surface so a rebore might be unavoidable.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, you really helped us. The rust in the cylinders looks like its almost just on the surface so we hope that honing will do. Now we have to find a rebuilt kit and some time to install everything. I will keep you up to date with some pictures of the progress!
By the way, whats the sound of this engine like? Does it have a nice idle?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts