Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
none
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the deal, i have a chevy truck that has what i think is a 76 500. I am currently removing the heads to have a broken exhaust manifold bolt removed. The heads are cast with the numbers 1602493, 500 right? Well there in the cylinders sit true flat top pistons. From the research i have done that means it is a 74 472. Is this true? I hope not... Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
I'm afraid you are correct, the flat top piston sez it's a '74 472 and nothing else.
120 CC chambers in those 493 heads.
Don't see anything wrong with a '74 engine in a truck. Should have good power for that.

·
Registered
none
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have plenty of power... Now the question is whether or not that engine is the same block as the 500? I was getting ready to order the MTS #10 grind cam, if i still can. Also is it easily possible to get the 500 crank in that block, maybe a bottom end swap if you will? Stronger connecting rods and such.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
The 472 piston has a different pin height than the 500, so 500 pistons would be needed. Rod lengths are the same I believe. 472 crank has about a quarter inch less stroke than a 500. I'm told the 500 crank will work in the 472 block OK
Several sources out there for after-market performance pistons, or you could use stock pistons. Using forged rods for RPM over around 4800 is highly recommended. Originals are cast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts