Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 cts with the 3.6L engine, as some of the board members know I am no stranger to cars.

Anyway, my 3.6 has 105 thousand miles on it. I was noticing a lack of power, the engine running more loudly and not nearly as smooth and recently some clattering at certain parts of the power band.
I figured that the engine was just getting old, I have always changed oil at about 4500 -5000 miles with mobil one synthetic.

Well I went for my normal oil change last night, and stressing out that the engine was dying, I figured what the hell, at 105k might as well do the engine flush (never done before) and the injector cleaner (last time was 50k miles ago)
Well I wasn't expecting much but man was I surprised when I got on the road again.
The engine and the car feels very young again. All the noise is gone, the engine runs very smoothly and very quietly, no more clatter at all, and it even has a bit more pep. I have to say I am pretty impressed with the outcome.
Seems sludge is a problem even with synthetics.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Believe it or not, jiffy lubes in this are offer the service. they are about 50 -60 bucks a piece
I can not remember the name of the engine flush.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy at the ship convinced me by after pulling the filter out he scooped his hand into thee cavity and brought out sludge.
After the flush, clean as a whistle.

My engine seems to be thanking me.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
The dealership told me to change my oil every 6,000 miles on synthetic. Is this right?

There's no wrong answer. Its up to you, its your car. If you CAN follow the Oil Life Monitor, wait until it told you to change the oil. (by the way, it is very reliable)

If you're stuck with the old school 3k miles oil change, do it. (you waste a lot of money and you dont contribute to the environment).

If you want to do it like your dealership is telling you to, its up to you.

Mine calls for an oil change between 9k-13k miles. I always check to oil level at every fill of gas and add if necessary.

It depends if you can sleep or not about oil changes ;)

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
I useto sell a lot of engine flushes, the problem
With them is if you have any sort of seal that is
Wearing out, the flush can remove the "sludge and
Varnish" that is actually holding it together now,
Thus creating a leak.
This is the reason I won't run the flush on my 3.2, I
Have a rocker gasket starting to seap a little oil
And the dealership apparently only changed 1 last year
When I was under warrenty....so I'm no the hook for this 1
When it gets a little worse.

I probably am one of those guys that change oil too often...
Every 4500-5000km (Canada eh lol) I use mobil 1
I'm sure it doesn't need it that often but I feel better knowing
The oil is fresh.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
46 Posts
The dealership told me to change my oil every 6,000 miles on synthetic. Is this right?
I usually would do it eiher 6-8 thousdand. I purchased a used 2005 3.6 cts and changed the oil as soon as I got it then changed the oil 2800 miles after just to make sure cause u never know about hte previous owner, but from now on I will probably do it 6-8

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,824 Posts
I usually would do it eiher 6-8 thousdand. I purchased a used 2005 3.6 cts and changed the oil as soon as I got it then changed the oil 2800 miles after just to make sure cause u never know about hte previous owner, but from now on I will probably do it 6-8
You got that right. With every car purchase that I've made, I've always changed the oil with in two or three weeks.

KOT

·
Registered
2007 CTS
32 Posts
I've done the injector clean a few times on other cars with great results, but not the flush. May have to try that later. But my CTS only has 17k so no worries now.

And there is no way in hell I'd ever let any oil go past 5k miles.

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
You got that right. With every car purchase that I've made, I've always changed the oil with in two or three weeks.

KOT
Hmm.. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago and just passed 45k miles this week. Oil life monitor showed 13% left the day I bought it. I read other threads to find out when is the best time to change it, and common advice seems to be when the monitor says so. I'm not exactly excited about having to use Mobil 1 from now on, but there's some validity to seeing what's going on in there. Also, with the way the winter and spring have been for car dealers, she could have been sitting there for a quite a while before I came along and rescued her :) When I test drove an '08 Hyundai Azera, the guy had to plug in a battery charger for 20 minutes before it would start!

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Some say that putting new air in their tires makes the car go faster too. If so, I will sell you some of these gadgets that will increase your gas mileage by 1000%. Problem is that you then need a large gas tank on your property so that you can save all this gasoline that you save. (You will need a place to keep this saved gasoline.) Also, I wonder if I install 3 or 4 of those gadgets, perhaps I can send my saved gasoline to the federal oil reserves. Just a thought, as I try to assist my country and country men (and women). Can't leave them out, you know.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux/Sport
364 Posts
GM technical service bulletins state. "General Motors Corp.does not endorse or recommend engine crankcase flushing for any of it's gasoline engines. Analysis of some of the materials used are incompatible with GM engine components and could damage engine seals and bearings.And nowhere in the owners manual does it call for a flush. Be suspect of any dealer or anyone trying to sell it to you."

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
GM technical service bulletins state. "General Motors Corp.does not endorse or recommend engine crankcase flushing for any of it's gasoline engines. Analysis of some of the materials used are incompatible with GM engine components and could damage engine seals and bearings.And nowhere in the owners manual does it call for a flush. Be suspect of any dealer or anyone trying to sell it to you."

:yeah:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, before the flush sludge had built up in the engine after 105 thousand miles of driving. Normal oil change duration of 5 to 6 thousand miles with mobil 1 synthetic for entire ownership of car.
Car was running rough, idling poorly, noticeable drop in mileage, a clattering was heard in first gear coming from the engine upon acceleration, this clattering was noticeable along with a general louder engine sound including ticking.

After the flush and injector cleaning all forms of shudder or clatter are gone, gained 3-5 mpg highway driving, noticeable improvement of power and response, idle "loping" is all but eliminated, engine operates much more smoothly and quietly.

These are the simple facts.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux/Sport
364 Posts
Alright, before the flush sludge had built up in the engine after 105 thousand miles of driving. Normal oil change duration of 5 to 6 thousand miles with mobil 1 synthetic for entire ownership of car.
Car was running rough, idling poorly, noticeable drop in mileage, a clattering was heard in first gear coming from the engine upon acceleration, this clattering was noticeable along with a general louder engine sound including ticking.

After the flush and injector cleaning all forms of shudder or clatter are gone, gained 3-5 mpg highway driving, noticeable improvement of power and response, idle "loping" is all but eliminated, engine operates much more smoothly and quietly.

These are the simple facts.
The improvement was more do to the injector cleaning than the flush,IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts